Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing Shorty Header Gains?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Shorty Header Gains?

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

Your X pipe gave you the gains you noticed, if any.

Just because you are swapping out stock for aftermarket does not mean it is better. The stock manifolds performanceis the same if not better than shorty headers.....sorry.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

If there were a longtube solution that included cats in the factory position and went straight to the factory H pipe, then I'd get them! But it seems every solution I've seen requires some creativity. The solution with cats I mean.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:50 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

A mide pipe does not give you any HP gains, dont drink the cool aid.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: loots06

riiight....who is drinking the koolaid here??
Old 10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
GrabberO07

HAHA is this a serious statement?? I guess physics doesnt apply in this case.... less airflow resistance= no gains... wow how come I never thought of that. Soo aaahh what cool aid are you drinking? I want to drink some and go get a throttle body spacer
Old 10-10-2007, 04:32 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

huh?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Like they say guys...
Ford got it right with the S197.
The intake and exhaust manifolds are a lot more efficient than ever before from the factory, even on the 6 bangers.
I called the Vortech people, since I'm interested in their product, they told me that at 10psi, even the long tubes don't give you much.
I 'll trust them...
Old 10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
GrabberO07

ORIGINAL: pascal

Like they say guys...
The intake and exhaust manifolds are a lot more efficient than ever before from the factory, even on the 6 bangers.
I called the Vortech people, since I'm interested in their product, they told me that at 10psi, even the long tubes don't give you much.
I 'll trust them...
Sorry I beg to differ from you and Vortech people? I have personally seen HUGE gains from longtube headers from Naturally aspirated GTs as well and forced induced cars. The proof is in the puddin... 1/4 times as well as Dyno testing. As for supercharged cars go...longtubes allows you to run the same amount of horsepower with a little less boost if Im correct. Yes in many ways the S197 was built well, but catylitic converters restrict HP and TQ.... shorty headers are not as efficient as longtubes. Ill stick to the many that I know running long tubes opinions, dyno testing, and 1/4 mile mph gains. Not sure what Vortech people were talking about minimal gains with longtubes...well worth it in my opinon... I would question those Votech people if they told you that. Talk to any drag racer or tuner in the country... Longtubesare definitely on their list and considered a worthwhile mod.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: GrabberO07

Like they say guys...
I 'll trust them...
Sorry I beg to differ from you and Vortech people? I have personally seen HUGE gains from longtube headers from Naturally aspirated GTs as well and forced induced cars. The proof is in the puddin... 1/4 times as well as Dyno testing. As for supercharged cars go...longtubes allows you to run the same amount of horsepower with a little less boost if Im correct. Yes in many ways the S197 was built well, but catylitic converters restrict HP and TQ.... shorty headers are not as efficient as longtubes. Ill stick to the many that I know running long tubes opinions, dyno testing, and 1/4 mile mph gains. Not sure what Vortech people were talking about minimal gains with longtubes...well worth it in my opinon... I would question those Votech people if they told you that. Talk to any drag racer or tuner in the country... Longtubes is definitely on their list and considered a worthwhile mod.

I won't argue with you because I don't know enough on the subject. If the Vortech guys are wrong then, maybe they should work for Victoria Secret. They didn't tell me no gain at all with long tube,only nothing to brag about on the 4.0.

Also, I remember that Justin from VMP tuning was telling me that he dynoed a V6 Vortech with MAC long tube and the gains were minimal.
Something like 3/5 horses. It could be that the car needed to be set up differently. We'll never know.
People also say that yanking the cats is more efficient then the headers by itself.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 PM
GrabberO07

ORIGINAL: GrabberO07

Like they say guys...
I 'll trust them...
Sorry I beg to differ from you and Vortech people? I have personally seen HUGE gains from longtube headers from Naturally aspirated GTs as well and forced induced cars. The proof is in the puddin... 1/4 times as well as Dyno testing. As for supercharged cars go...longtubes allows you to run the same amount of horsepower with a little less boost if Im correct. Yes in many ways the S197 was built well, but catylitic converters restrict HP and TQ.... shorty headers are not as efficient as longtubes. Ill stick to the many that I know running long tubes opinions, dyno testing, and 1/4 mile mph gains. Not sure what Vortech people were talking about minimal gains with longtubes...well worth it in my opinon... I would question those Votech people if they told you that. Talk to any drag racer or tuner in the country... Longtubes is definitely on their list and considered a worthwhile mod.

I won't argue with you because I don't know enough on the subject. If the Vortech guys are wrong then, maybe they should work for Victoria Secret. They didn't tell me no gain at all with long tube,only nothing to brag about on the 4.0.

Also, I remember that Justin from VMP tuning was telling me that he dynoed a V6 Vortech with MAC long tube and the gains were minimal.
Something like 3/5 horses. It could be that the car needed to be set up differently. We'll never know.
People also say that yanking the cats is more efficient then the headers by itself.
Sorry I didnt know you were comparing a V6's long tube gains to V8 Gains..... we are on two different pages... the GTs will gain much more than the 6ers. the 4.0 is a different animal than the 4.6 3V. Apples to Oranges. IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Racing Shorty Header Gains?