Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Take-Off vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 10:19 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

Default GT Take-Off vs. Flowmaster

Hey guys,

I have a stock 2005 Black Manual Stang. I am looking to get a new muffler/exhaust system and I am stuck between the GT Take-Off and the Flowmaster systems. I like the sound of the Flowmaster but I actually haven't heard the GT Take-Off so I can't really compare. I would just like some comments on the pros and cons of each and which one I should choose overall. Please take into account sound and performance.

I want to have a sound that is pretty loud and aggressive but I don't want to have one of those cars that flies by you on the road and sounds like a stock car, making people on the side of the road duck for cover. If you have any other suggestions other that these two, please feel free to add them.

P.S. IfI get the GT Take-Off I am going to stick with a single exhaust for the time being but I will go ahead and get the second so that I can upgrade to a dual in the future.

Thanks again for the help,

Hunter
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: GT Take-Off vs. Flowmaster

Flowmaster. The GT takeoff was too quiet for me.. and I ended up upgrading to another muffler anyway. If you want a more aggressive sound.. the flowmaster is better.

If you want minimal cabin noise and a decent sound when you floor it.. the take off should be fine.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
nobrakes
2nd Gear Member

flowmaster for sound , gt takeoff is noticably louder than the v6 muffler, but it's more cost effecient. 2 brand new mufflers for 65 bucks on ebay.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Performance wise there probably is no difference, The flowmaster is louder for sure, but the take offs are cheap!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
theresa
4th Gear Member

Gt Take-off sounds good when you give it the gas...but hardly a difference at idle.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:23 AM
JimC

Performance wise the two are probably the same. I had the Flowmaster AT on my car for awhile, good sound, nice and aggressive (it set off car alarms in the parking garage sometimes) and always heard compliments on it. However, after upgrading to 3.73 gears they put the engine in a perfect harmony on the expressway where I couldn't hear the radio inside the car and couldn't talk to a passenger - it was too loud and with a one hour commute each day it wore on me.

I went with the GT take off and duals - much easier on the ears on the highway, no drone. They are quieter, but still have a good tone to them and when you hit it they will rumble. I believe that at idle they are much better than the stock V6 muffler, but nowhere near as loud as the Flowmaster AT.

It all depends upon the type of driving you do and what other mods you have planned. If you plan to take road trips it will be loud inside.