Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best gasoline for use in our Mustang's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:27 PM
JCD89

Default RE: Best gasoline for use in our Mustang's?

ORIGINAL: ilmor

I buy any major brand, 91+ - Shelby requirement,except Citgo. No wayChavez will get a penny from me. Usually I buy Mobil because its my nearest station (across the street from Citgo). I also like Sunoco since they support auto racing.
http://www.biztimes.com/news/2006/12...s-chavez-citgo

http://www.propeller.com/viewstory/2...amp;frame=true

Hahahahaha, geeze, just shows how much education he has. Such an important person (literally) of a country with such a dirty and foul mouth. (Sorry, off-topic, heh)
Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I swear you guys are mindreaders. I was wondering the same thing. I filled up at an Exxon on Tuesday. Man, my car has performed awful all week. I mean it. Awful. Just no kick.

I usually fill up at Shell. My car runs very, very good on Shell gasoline.

~Fletch~
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

the poll needs to be edited the 92 should be 91/92/93/94 as differant areas have a different prem
I voted 92 but I use 93
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 PM
mustang country
2nd Gear Member

The other day I needed gas badly and the closet gas staion near me was a BP. Sometimes I fill my Mustang with that gas but normally I put in gas from Shell. I do think thatwith Shell, my car runs better.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

I like Chevron, Exxon / Mobile, and Sunoco. I know these are American. BP, well, they call themselves Beyond Petroleum now but I still remember them as British Petroleum, so I don't use that. Don't like Valero or Citgo because of the Chavez deal and obvious foreign ties. There are crappy gas stations called WaWa's and Royal Farms around here, and I don't like those either (my Firebird won't even run right on Royal Farms gas). Texaco is alright but there are none around me. Not sure about Shell, don't use it, but I've heard good things. Guess I need to go find out if I buy gas from them will I be sending money to where I don't want it....
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM
slvrstang2007
2nd Gear Member

noting but 76 91 octane for me i'd get 93 but cant find it anywhere
Old 10-20-2007, 08:06 PM
JCD89

ORIGINAL: Ford_Dude

the poll needs to be edited the 92 should be 91/92/93/94 as differant areas have a different prem
I voted 92 but I use 93
Done
Old 10-20-2007, 08:20 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Found this. Never heard of "Top Tier" gas until reading this thread and watching this video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...in788939.shtml
Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Living in south-central Pennsylvania there are only two brands that carry 93 octane (at least that I have found): BP and Sunoco. I've been using Sunoco, seems to work well and they support racing big time.

Brand is one thing, octane is another. Which octane you should use depends on the state of tune of your car. Stock from the factory you should be using 87 octane. Thats what your compression and timing are set for. If you have retuned your car than that may change. What does octane do? Well among other things it makes gasoline detonate at a higher temperature. Meaning you can compress the cylinder charge more before detonating it, thus increasing the power output. But if your car isn't tuned for a higher octane, i.e. the compression is higher or the timing is changed from stock, then there is no point in buying higher octane gas, it does nothing for you. In fact, with the factory timing, anything above 87 octane would make your car run slightly rich.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut
Living in south-central Pennsylvania there are only two brands that carry 93 octane (at least that I have found): BP and Sunoco. I've been using Sunoco, seems to work well and they support racing big time.

Brand is one thing, octane is another. Which octane you should use depends on the state of tune of your car. Stock from the factory you should be using 87 octane. Thats what your compression and timing are set for. If you have retuned your car than that may change. What does octane do? Well among other things it makes gasoline detonate at a higher temperature. Meaning you can compress the cylinder charge more before detonating it, thus increasing the power output. But if your car isn't tuned for a higher octane, i.e. the compression is higher or the timing is changed from stock, then there is no point in buying higher octane gas, it does nothing for you. In fact, with the factory timing, anything above 87 octane would make your car run slightly rich.
it won't run rich but you won't get the full benifit of anything past 87
the knock sensors will advance timing a little but not enough to fully benifit

Quick Reply: Best gasoline for use in our Mustang's?