Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Owners Chime In!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo Owners Chime In!

ORIGINAL: androdz

Not wanting to bust ur bubble but a turbo at 8-9 psi is gonna make more power than ur s/c at 12 psi.

Andrew
Not according to all the dyno numbers i've seen, but they weren't on the same car or done at the same time. A whipple with full exhaust has dynoed 534rwhp on 10.5psi, so if you could provide someone with a turbo making more than that at 8-9psi then I won't think you are blinded by your love for turbos.

The whippled car producing those numbers belongs to Anthony05GT on M0dularfords.com.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Themajor reason I went away from the supercharger route and opted for the turbo was the complaint I have seen from a few individuals on belts breaking or slipping...I really didn't want to deal with that issue at all...Plus the turbo power seems more limitless in that you can slap a bigger turbo on there, assuming you have the supporting engine and drive train mods and you can make a ton of power...
Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

Themajor reason I went away from the supercharger route and opted for the turbo was the complaint I have seen from a few individuals on belts breaking or slipping...I really didn't want to deal with that issue at all...Plus the turbo power seems more limitless in that you can slap a bigger turbo on there, assuming you have the supporting engine and drive train mods and you can make a ton of power...
All belt issues seem to be power shifting related and/or tensioner related. The bent/broken tensioner problem has been resolved though. I haven't broken a belt yet after 3k miles and a few missed shifts. I never power shift though, don't want a broken transmission. Anway Androdz constant argument that turbos produce more power doesn't seem to hold true at the psi levels he speaks of. I'm sure at higher boost it would, but not many will ever run over 15psi.

How much boost do you ever see running, honestly? I wouldn't do more than pump gas can handle myself because race gas would be a huge hassle and expensive for me.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: androdz

Not wanting to bust ur bubble but a turbo at 8-9 psi is gonna make more power than ur s/c at 12 psi.

Andrew
Not according to all the dyno numbers i've seen, but they weren't on the same car or done at the same time. A whipple with full exhaust has dynoed 534rwhp on 10.5psi, so if you could provide someone with a turbo making more than that at 8-9psi then I won't think you are blinded by your love for turbos.

The whippled car producing those numbers belongs to Anthony05GT on M0dularfords.com.
534 and what tq??

Andrew
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

All belt issues seem to be power shifting related and/or tensioner related. The bent/broken tensioner problem has been resolved though. I haven't broken a belt yet after 3k miles and a few missed shifts. I never power shift though, don't want a broken transmission. Anway Androdz constant argument that turbos produce more power doesn't seem to hold true at the psi levels he speaks of. I'm sure at higher boost it would, but not many will ever run over 15psi.

How much boost do you ever see running, honestly? I wouldn't do more than pump gas can handle myself because race gas would be a huge hassle and expensive for me.
You can still run street gas at high psi you just have to pull back some timing while with race gas you can technically keep bumping the timing up. that is with c16 not the 102. Remember supercharger rob hp to make hp. BTW was that 534 on 93 oct?

Also A big + that I like with the turbo is that with a digital boost controller you can control the boost you want the car to make on each gear to make it much more streetable and have a better launch. You can have 6psi on 1st, 10 on 2nd, 13 on 3rd, 18 or w/e on 4th. Or even better thave 6psi on 1st, 10 psi on on 2/3/4/5 and have a High boost button on your steering wheel that when you hit it goes to high boost setting. Would love to see something like that on a s/c what are they gonna do? have like 6 different belts? They have to make a waste gate for it to work.

Andrew
Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

"whipple with full exhaust has dynoed 534rwhp on 10.5psi"

That even possible? I would believe 500rwhp but 530+ is probably impossible...phyiscs people!

Unless the exhaust added 50hp