Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why stock 1/4 mile and 0-60mph times are so important

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:15 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: why stock 1/4 mile and 0-60mph times are so important

ORIGINAL: drbobvs

what girl wants to be seen in the slower car or with the slower guy?
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=lame.gif]
Yeah, that's a pretty impressive statement.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I can honestly say that how fast a Mustang would do a 1/4 mile or 0-60 made absolutely no difference to me when I bought mine. I wasn't looking for "street cred" or "respect". It looked a lot like the old Mustangs, I've always wanted an old Mustang, and this seemed to be a good compromise of old-school looks and new school performance and reliability. I'm guessing you're a young guy and in your sphere of friends, fast cars, and the women who love them 10th's of a second make a difference. Me, I couldn't care less.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:06 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

As far as women goes......my girlfriend is real impressed (look at pic) with all the things being done to my car, to go faster and faster and faster. She couldn't care less about speed and was much happier with it being 100% stock.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

I can kind of understand wanting to make your car "naturally" fast AFTER YOU'VE PURCHASED IT. However, I do not imagine anyone going to the dealership and choosing their type of stang based on it being faster. For instance, people will not get painted 17 inch rims just to make their car go faster. They will get whichever rims have the best looks according to their taste. Also, they will not choose a coupe versus a vert or a vert versus a coupe based on which is faster, and the idea that someone would do this is laughable. No one chooses appearance options based on speed.......it's all based on looks.....or many times on MONEY! I'm sure every person who got a GT would have opted for a 5.4 L engine rather than the 4.6 L if it had been an option just like some people opt for the 3.55 gears for better acceleration.

And BTW, my car demands respect because of the little silver pony on the front, not because I haveroad raced and beaten some hothead or have been to the drag strip andimpressed a bunch of rednecks in between their budweiser binges and mullet grooming.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The #1 thing that sells cars is the price. #2 is a tie between looks and test drive. 1/4 mile times is probably #3,500.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:26 AM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Generally I agree, but in my case I look at cars based on1) Performance, 2) Aftermarket support (Mustangs can't be beat here, except maybe by Civics) 3) Price 4) Looks

On all four the best proposition for me was the Mustang..
Old 10-25-2007, 12:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

0-60 and 1/4 times dont sell cars.....and the 13.4 that you and doode have run are NOT the norm....most cant hardly break 14s actually, you cant and no one uses 13.4 stock 1320 to sell the car. I am not giving you **** about the fact that the other write is great and very good to know.....but you cant use something that only 5% of the drivers can run in stock form and compare that against the world
Old 10-25-2007, 12:10 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

I can honestly say that how fast a Mustang would do a 1/4 mile or 0-60 made absolutely no difference to me when I bought mine. I wasn't looking for "street cred" or "respect". It looked a lot like the old Mustangs, I've always wanted an old Mustang, and this seemed to be a good compromise of old-school looks and new school performance and reliability. I'm guessing you're a young guy and in your sphere of friends, fast cars, and the women who love them 10th's of a second make a difference. Me, I couldn't care less.
Same here. I own a V6, and I still don't know what our 1/4 mile time is, but I don't care. I love the sound, the feel, and the look. I was sold on that. Anyone can go fast, whether a busted up van or whatever.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

I for one liked your 1st thread. It had some good basic info on how to actually get a
good 1320. Don't know why you caught any crap for it. I think you're going to catch
more crap on this thread.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:08 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Dude ... woman care more about how fast you can whip out your wallet and buy her something than how fast your car is ... what world you live in .... Japanese Drifter World?
LMAO.. I'm sorry but 'that there is funny - don't care who you are'...lol

As fast as my car is, its' speed has nothing to do with why a woman would bat her eyes at me. It's simply related to how much money she thinks I have to put into the car to make it that way...

Muscles and movie star looks will lose to a fat wallet everytime in the 'what attracts women department'.

Money & success - ain't nothing more beautiful to a woman...

Quick Reply: why stock 1/4 mile and 0-60mph times are so important