Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break in period?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 01:23 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Break in period?

I feel like I just watched an animal cruelty video.

That guy needs to be beat to a friggin' pulp!! It was probably a rental.

And did he say his MOM taught him how to do a burnout???[:-]
Old 03-01-2005, 01:27 PM
graphicguy
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shifty

ORIGINAL: showam1

"What do you think an engine or an engine computer is going to do when you start reving the **** out of it when you hit 1501 miles? "

Adjust?
No, it's not going to be used to it and it's going to create problems. Let the car know how you are going to drive it.
HUH???? The computer won't be used to "what"? All they do is adjust for whatever conditions that are happening when you drive.

If this were the case, if I took delivery of my Mustang in 0 degree weather, would the computer remember that and fail to function correctly when it gets to 90 degrees this summer?

Just follow the owners manual. I'd say most people vary their RPMs and speed in just normal every day driving, anyway. I'll probably hold off on redlining mine for a few hundred miles and probably won't take any long trips using cruise control either initially. That will be about it regarding break-in, though.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:11 PM
rednblackdawg
1st Gear Member

My stang is my baby. That was child abuse.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Basicly, all 05's come pre-broken in. As long as you vary up the rpm's as mentioned before, you're ok. As a matter of fact, an OCCASIONAL redline between 500-1000 miles is perfectly fine. Someone above mentioned don't use cruise control on the freeway 'til its past 1k miles. This is correct. You actually could use cruise, just change your speed a bit to keep the rpm's varied.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:33 PM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

OK I think I am OK, I just pushed it a little the night I got it. Not very smart but I lost my mind. I will not cruise at the speed so that's easy to do.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Mustangdude75

That car had to be stolen or he is just a idiot. No way in hell would i ever treat my car to that kind of abuse.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:04 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Not Volvo. BMW 320i, Cam, Pistons, Ported, Polished, MSD ignition, custom distributor, fifth computer controlled injector in throttle body for top end fuel flow. Full out suspension mods, 25 sets of tires have gone to their grave, number 26 set half done with life.

Runs strong, runs at 5/6 grand RPM's for extended periods on long grades. Never lets me down.

So, SON, take a hint from dear old Dad.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:35 AM
jagbits
2nd Gear Member

Ok I'm impressed, thanks for setting me straight you worried me in your last post, I apologize and I will now give you the respect you have earned. Good louck with your 05 and your BMW, I will take it easy, I just got a little excited when I got the car and wanted to see if it had all the "goods" that I read about about for a month. My father is 80 years old and he would probably smack me on the side of my head if he knew I was beating on a brand new car so let's just chaulk this whole episode up as experience learned in a couple different areas, deal?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:01 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Deal!!!

I just believe in break 'em in, warm 'em up, treat 'em right, give them quality care, best lubricants and they'll be there for you. Look at www.tufoil.com The Machinst that built my engine said it is good stuff. The way my engine runs, a little "four banger", 126,000 miles after he built it speaks for itself.

Gregory

ORIGINAL: jagbits

Ok I'm impressed, thanks for setting me straight you worried me in your last post, I apologize and I will now give you the respect you have earned. Good louck with your 05 and your BMW, I will take it easy, I just got a little excited when I got the car and wanted to see if it had all the "goods" that I read about about for a month. My father is 80 years old and he would probably smack me on the side of my head if he knew I was beating on a brand new car so let's just chaulk this whole episode up as experience learned in a couple different areas, deal?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Afton

When I went for my first test drive at the dealer my new car had less than 200 miles on it. The salesman jumped all over it (to impress me I guess) and didn't seem to worried about a break-in period. I've got ten thousand on it now with no problems.

Quick Reply: Break in period?