Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first "mod" from Texas Hot Rods...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:32 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My first "mod" from Texas Hot Rods...

Sounds like you got overcharged about $125 for the parts, labor charge seems reasonable ($40). I'd go in person to shop with print out from their website showing lower price for parts, and ask (calmly) for an explanation. Maybe it was an honest mistake or mix-up. If they still give you the run around, maybe mention you will be posting your experience on line...
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM
05madmax

just so everyone knows THr has that reputation. especially locally. they seem to overprice things and the service is eh to say the least. for an example since i do live in el paso, tx where they are located; a friend of mine went to get a quote on a zex nitroous system for his 05 gt and they wanted 1000 + an install price. he also had a tune that they locked him out of any thing adjustable on the programmer.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

about them saying there is no CAT BACK for the 08, i know what they mean i think,i was talking to the guy who is going to do my exhaust once i get to that point,he was looking the stuff up and told me the same thing "there are no catback systems for 08's" and ofcourse i said,yes there are catbakcs for the 05+ mustangs..apparently,acording to him when he calls and asks for an 08 catback system they will say nothing is available,no matter if its the same as the previous year, because they may not have fit one of their systems on a current 08 and cant offically say its for an 08 yet...incredibly stupid in my opinion

so i had to explain to him that i'll bring him JBA H pipe and midpipes,with mufflers of my choice and he can use them just fine,then he understood
Old 10-29-2007, 07:31 PM
MEDIC
1st Gear Member

Well, just to put this cat/axle back thing to rest, I went in there and asked for a CAT back exhaust. I didn't specify any particular make or model, just CAT BACK exhaust. He said that the Mac cat backs would be a good choice, and I trusted in his expertise. If he were truly a knowledgeable Mustang guy (or simply a professional parts man or whatever), he would have explained these things to me, or looked it up and gotten the info if he didn't already know.

Yeah, the onus is somewhat on me to be a knowledgeable consumer, but I made it evident to him that I wanted a lot of things done, and I needed a shop that I could trust to help me through the process. If you were a shop owner/worker, wouldn't you want to win my trust and business? I know I would.

Maybe I'm a bit spoiled from having a life-long friend back home who owns a car shop and does all my auto work, but I believe that an honest shop will make more than a fluff shop anyday. It's good for the customer, and it's good for them. Case in point, I was ready and willing to drop another $5-10K on mods at their shop, but they lost that for a $125 mark up and bad info.

I'm still not sure if I want to go back in there and confront them. If they throw it in my face and refuse to reimburse me, I'll just be all that much more pissed. And $125 isn't really that big of a deal to me anyway. Then again, they may make it right. Of course, a good shop would have already made it right after I called and griped.

Apparently, an unhappy customer isn't all that important to them.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
Chris07GT
5th Gear Member

I think you should have given them a chance to make things before you go on here posting about how bad they are. If they don't make things right, then post away. Just my $.02
Old 10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

I have nothing but something good to say about THR. I got my gears installed there, and 20k later, still no problems... I knew was I was talking about and brought them the gears. So that might have changed things a little... But all in all they charged me $225 for the gear install and that included the RP Gear Oil... One of the best prices I have seen on here for a Gear install. I am sue if you call them though they will make it right. I didn't get the impression from them that they were trying to rip me off at all.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM
MEDIC
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chris07GT

I think you should have given them a chance to make things before you go on here posting about how bad they are. If they don't make things right, then post away. Just my $.02
Well, I tried to give them a chance by calling and leaving a message. They apparently didn't think it was important enough to warrant a return phone call.

And I'm not trying to bash them. I'm trying to be as objective as I can and share my experience with fellow Mustang owners. I know what you're saying, but I don't feel like I should have to go beat their door down to get things resolved. I had a bad experience, and they lost a customer.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 AM
SnakeFan
1st Gear Member

mlcrycc....I love your car!
Old 10-31-2007, 12:56 AM
jfitts23

hows it going i was stationed there at fort bliss too. i used to get alot of my work done at hot rod connections. they know there stuff. they race at desert demoz track alot. i got a 93 lx and my friend has a 89 gt we both were happy. long as you buy the stuff there and have them install the price is decent. there's another good mustang shop if your looking at the police station on dyer its on the left side right next to it i can't remember the name but there good to.they do alot of race cars. in el paso make sure you do your research and know the prices of things before you check them out because alot of places in elpaso will try and get over on customers on everything around there.go to desert demoz check out the races i think the big nights or friday and sunday.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:10 AM
tripsevn7
Moderating with Angels

mistakes can happen especially when dealing with pricing. did you mention you were a member here? mustang forum members do enjoy a discount w/ our sponsers.

Quick Reply: My first "mod" from Texas Hot Rods...