Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whipple or hellion?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
chupac
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: whipple or hellion?

I know this isn't a turbo vs. s/c but I'll give my .02 anyway.

I'm partial to Hellion #1 because I love the sound of a turbo. #2 Turbo's aren't as effected by our altitude 5000ft as the Whipple would be. #3 I'm good friends with the owners, Dwayne James and John Urist. #4 The customer support would be hard to beat because they're only 30 minutes from me.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

I would personally go with the whipple mainly because I think it would be easier to run a consistant dial when bracket racing. If I were just running it on the street or heads up racing I may lean the other way
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

What about turbo lag and how the power would kick in on a road course if you were in a turn and all the power came in from the turbo (Is there even any turbo lag now with the hellion? That'd be my main concern...) I've had a turbo car and hated it when the turbo would kick in in a turn and I'd always have to downshift to get power (car was a subaru wrx), and soon I'll be going with a whipple I'll never have another turbo car again because it takes away from the exhaust note, all the plumbing, maintenance, and lag most of all. Can't wait for the low-end...and oh wait...the top end power of the whipple not to mention the sound
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

I would go turbo.

I am hoping to go with the HPperformance kit.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I know you didn't ask but have you thought about the STS kit? Here's what it looks like under the hood. It meets the "looks good" part of the equation IMO.

As far as sound goes...http://www.ststurbo.com/mustang_sound___video

It meets the sound requirement too.

Happy hunting and do your research! Satisfaction after purchase will be remembered long after price is forgotten. If you can't get exactly what you what, wait until you can. Don't settle.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:17 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

you drove a stock wrx turbo. thats not even close to an aftermarket system. drifting cars are turbo'd...that must be why.

Bottom line is these factors...Supercharger has belts and pullies, turbos can just turn up boost.peak HP is before you shift with a s/c, turbos have a longer powerband. s/c tend to have better lower end torque, turbos have a higher top end. turbos have the under the hood temps BUT with my STS kit it eliminates that problem. There is little to none turbo lagwith the turbo technology we have today.

Me personally, I liked the STS setup and decided on that but before i knew about STS i was going tobuy aKB or Procharger.

Pros and cons to both. Both FI systems make you faster. Its been argued and debated a million times and in a million mags by top HP car guys. All of them give you a break down and say, you decide. SO you decide whats better for you.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

It is just personal preference. I love turbo's myself I think they sound great with the blow off valve and make great power, but they arent for me.

Why? Well it is just the power delivery. I would say drive in a car with a positive displacement supercharger and once with a centrifugal or turbo. Feel the difference pick the one you like.

My turbo knowledge come from a GN and my wifes 07 CX7. Both cars have the rubber band turbo motion. Push the peddle nothing, nothing, bang and you are off. Its fun but when I punch it off a light or try to pull out in traffic it is a little scary. A turbo stang is going to have 320 tq with 0 boost so it is much less noticible but you still get my drift. I plan on a whipple because it basically just feels like you have a bigger engine with more power anywhere.

My advice is to drive both or as similar to both as you can and pick the one you like better. With a stock bottom end both are going to make about the same peak numbers so it really could be as easy as a coin flip.

Either way you will be happy.

Just remember "Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one and they all stink." But thats just my opinion

Good luck
Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pwny

I would go turbo.

I am hoping to go with the HPperformance kit.
me too... I just emailed the guys for installed pics of the new twin turbo kit for the s197.