Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do your Canned Tunes react differently to Different Brands of Fuel??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default Do your Canned Tunes react differently to Different Brands of Fuel??

For some time, I had run Shell Gasoline. I use tunes from both Brenspeed and VMP. Honestly, while running Shell, my VMP tune outperformed my Brenspeed tune.

About two months ago or so, I switched over to Chevron fuel. I definately noticed a performance difference with Chevron. Good deal....Being somewhat bored today, and looking for a reason to run up and down the freeway a couple of times, I decided to load and unload a few tunes, and do a few runs.....With the Chevron gas now in from awhile, my Brenspeed tune is undoubtedly outperforming the VMP tune.....

Anyone else notice this??????
Old 11-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Do your Canned Tunes react differently to Different Brands of Fuel??

It's very possible for the fuel brand to play a role in the performance, especially with canned tunes. I'm sure all of the canned tune dealers are trying to get the most power from their products. However, the closer they get to "max" performance, the more sensitive the car's ECU will be to the quality of the fuel. It's possible that the Chevron fuel is a higher quality and if the Brenspeed tune is running a bit more timing than the VMP, then it will run closer to the "borderline spark" tables and cause more timing to be pulled than the VMP tune does. So, with the right octane/quality of fuel, higher timing will give you better performance, but with lower quality fuel, the more conservative tune will actually outperform the other since the ECU isn't pulling as much timing. Hope that makes sense. The best way to tell is to datalog the knock and spark if you have the ability to do so.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:51 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do your Canned Tunes react differently to Different Brands of Fuel??

ORIGINAL: Doc Holiday

It's very possible for the fuel brand to play a role in the performance, especially with canned tunes. I'm sure all of the canned tune dealers are trying to get the most power from their products. However, the closer they get to "max" performance, the more sensitive the car's ECU will be to the quality of the fuel. It's possible that the Chevron fuel is a higher quality and if the Brenspeed tune is running a bit more timing than the VMP, then it will run closer to the "borderline spark" tables and cause more timing to be pulled than the VMP tune does. So, with the right octane/quality of fuel, higher timing will give you better performance, but with lower quality fuel, the more conservative tune will actually outperform the other since the ECU isn't pulling as much timing. Hope that makes sense. The best way to tell is to datalog the knock and spark if you have the ability to do so.

It's a great explanation that makes perfect sense, and in my case, is a very logical explanation...here's why.....

The Brenspeed tune is actually a "California Modified" 93 octane tune, since here in wonderful Ca., the best I can get is 91 octane. For the most part, it always run strong as an ox. But on a couple of occasions, specifically when it was very hot outside, I detected a slight detonation at high end. Yes, Brent would gladly work the tune a bit, but I never got to that point. I just backed off to the 91 tune, no problem. Along comes the VMP 91 performance tune. Ran like a raped ape on 91 octane.(Shell) Having now switched to Chevron fuel, which I have read from several people is considered their fuel of choice, I believe the quality is better than Shell (JMO, no flaming) . This is where your explanation comes in, and fits the situation, the way I see it. Bottom line, nice to know I have a rockin tune for each fuel source....

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:56 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Could also be since you just switched tunes you have completely wiped out what the computer has learned....kinda of like removing the battery cable or the gas pedal mod that people talk about....if you switch back to the VMP tune since running the cheveron?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:02 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Could also be since you just switched tunes you have completely wiped out what the computer has learned....kinda of like removing the battery cable or the gas pedal mod that people talk about....if you switch back to the VMP tune since running the cheveron?
Yeah Matt, I thought about that as well, so I actually bounced between both tunes a couple of times this morning, so they would both be on "fresh downloads" as it were.....Kinda a limited little test and tune on the local on ramp....[8D][8D]
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Different brands and grades of gas require a different AFR due to the amount of oxygen carrying compounds in the fuel.
We only have one fuel pipeline in our area so its not an issue here (the fuels all the same before they add their detergent package to it).
I would talk to a tanker driver (next time you see one droppoing gas) and find out how many sources for fuel there are in your area and ask who he believes Shell and BP get their fuel from.