Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock

Old 12-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Default Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock

So i've been searching a bit on Hurst and MGW shifters. Most people seem to love their Hurst shifter, and I hear a lot about how MGW is arguably one of the best shifter's out there. My main question is does either feel less notchy vs. the stock shifter? I'm leaning toward the hurst shifter because I want to pick up my cai, tune, and short shifter at once, so saving a little money on the shifter sounds like a good idea to me. Would I be disappointed in anything when going from a stocker to a Hurst?

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:29 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock

I love my hurst, alot more notchy than the stock, very short....MGW will not have near the notchy feeling as the hurst though
Old 12-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

PRO5.0 FTW!
Old 12-04-2007, 01:45 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

This thread keeps resurfacing whether it be Hurst v. MGW, Hurst v. TriAxx, or MGW v. TriAxx. You really need to try and find one of each to compare the pros and cons. I was leaning towards the TriAxx, but ended up getting too sweet a deal on a new MGW (in the classifieds here). Very happy with mine. Ask 6 owners of different aftermarket shifters and you'll get 8 opinions. Regardless ANYTHING is better than stock.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:54 PM
FlaPony
3rd Gear Member

The MGW is a sweet setup. All I know is that I never miss 3rd gear unlike the stock POS.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Juban
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess more or less what I should have asked is "does the Hurst perform well enough to justify the savings from the MGW or Pro shifters?" I know you often get what you pay for, so i'm not expecting to pay $100+ less on something and get the quality/ performance of the more expensive item.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:22 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juban

does the Hurst perform well enough to justify the savings from the MGW or Pro shifters?"
Yes. As long as you like notchy shifts. If you're looking for smoothness, then the Hurst isn't the shifter you want.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:23 PM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess more or less what I should have asked is "does the Hurst perform well enough to justify the savings from the MGW or Pro shifters?" I know you often get what you pay for, so i'm not expecting to pay $100+ less on something and get the quality/ performance of the more expensive item.

I believe this all comes down to if you are wanting to powershift or not. If you do want to powershift, I reccomend staying away from the hurst and getting the MGW, solved my problem. If powershifting isnt an issue then I would go hurst, i loved the look and feel of it, just couldnt get over how it wouldnt PS for the life of me.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:24 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

MGW
Old 12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acstone7

I believe this all comes down to if you are wanting to powershift or not. If you do want to powershift, I reccomend staying away from the hurst and getting the MGW, solved my problem. If powershifting isnt an issue then I would go hurst, i loved the look and feel of it, just couldnt get over how it wouldnt PS for the life of me.
Hurst seems to powershift fine for me. Grip it and rip it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hurst vs. MGW vs. stock