Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine RPMs floating up when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 04:53 PM
lowrider02

Default Engine RPMs floating up when shifting

Looking for some help on my 2007 GT 5-speed with 3.13 stock gears. When shifting, the RPMs race up a bit in between gears when the clutch pedal is pressed and foot off the gas. Themore I accelerate, the more the RPMs float up in between gears. Is this common? The car only has 4800 miles on it and the dealer doesn't know how to address it since they said the computer is controlling this.Everything checks out on their analyzer. This doesn't seem to occur when downshifting.

Another thing I noticed is when in 5th gear at approximayely 70 mph and 1800-1900 RPM, there's a slight droning sound. The sound quickly goes away when I hit 2000 RPM and doesn't occur in 5th gear prior to 1800 RPM. Are these common characteristics of the car?

Need help from someone with experience on this issue or if this is normal. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine RPMs floating up when shifting

on the floating RPMs you might engage the clutch before coming off the gas peddle. Drone can be common in aftermarket axlebacks but I never notice it because I am partial to the exhaust note on the Stangs. Do you get sick when you hear the drone? If not then you are probably just gettingthe resonating from the location under the trunk...roll your windows down or turn up the music or just sit back and enjoy that sweet sound
Old 12-08-2007, 05:00 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I dont know if its normal, but it makes sense.... The engine's crankshaft outputs to the flywheel, which has the clutch disk pressing against it. This means the crankshaft is driving the whole car.

When you press the clutch in and take the clutch disk off of the flywheel, as well as the entire weight of the pushing the car, there is nothing for the flywheel to push against and the engine makes easy and instant RPMs.

I wouldnt say its 'normal' though probably nothing to worry about. In fact, maybe as your clutch wears in it will go away.

btw you mean stock 3.31 gear/final drive, not 3.13, which Im sure you knew but someone on here will jump on you about it.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:03 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yes, those are characteristics of the car.....btw, it's 3.31.

These cars like to linger in the higher rpms longer than some other cars.....like they want to go fast.

Drone will occur when you're in a gear that's a little too high for your speed. I only use 5th gear on mine (I have 3.31 also) when I'm going 70mph or faster. The car sounds too good at 65mph in 4th gear to shift into 5th and be swimming in drone.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:11 PM
doode
3rd Gear Member

the rev floating is due toan emissions thing
annoying as hell to be honest, but very common
Old 12-08-2007, 05:18 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Drive by wire delay. Maybe it is
less pronounced with a custom tune?
Try releasing the gas a little more
before depressing the clutch than
you are now. Its was happening to
me also and thats how I cured it.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Its intentional. Like they said its got to do with emissions. If you will notice it also takes several seconds
after you release the throttle before you get full compression braking as well.
Thats because the throttle stays partially open during that time.
The only way to fix it is with an aftermarket tune.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
lowrider02

Thanks to everyone on the information. Sorry on the typo...I did mean 3.31 gear ratio. Knowing that it's common for the RPMs to float up when shifting due to emissions makes me feel better that there's no serious problem. I have tried everything on ensuring that the gas is released before depressing the clutch pedal, but it still floats up. I can live with it knowing that this is a characteristic of the car.

As for the droning, it really doesn't sound like the noiseis related to the exhaust system. I have no problem with hearing the sound ofthe exhaust rumbling...always want more rumble. The sound is not coming from the back. It sounds like it's either in the engine compartment or directly below the driver seat. The droning does not happen when in 5th gear above or below the 1800-1900 RPM range. If the sound was due to the engine bogging down by being in too high of a gear for the speed, I would hear it at 1500 RPM, which is not the case. Something must be resonating at the specific RPM range. It doesn't happen in 4th gear, regardless of the RPMs. Being a newbie, maybe I'm being too picky, but I want to make sure I get the true Stang experience. I still love the car, but thinking about putting in 3.73 gears. Maybe this will help me keep the RPMs up when traveling at normal highway speeds (70 mpg). I can't always go 80 mph to keep the drone away.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lowrider02

Looking for some help on my 2007 GT 5-speed with 3.13 stock gears. When shifting, the RPMs race up a bit in between gears when the clutch pedal is pressed and foot off the gas. Themore I accelerate, the more the RPMs float up in between gears. Is this common? The car only has 4800 miles on it and the dealer doesn't know how to address it since they said the computer is controlling this.Everything checks out on their analyzer. This doesn't seem to occur when downshifting.

Another thing I noticed is when in 5th gear at approximayely 70 mph and 1800-1900 RPM, there's a slight droning sound. The sound quickly goes away when I hit 2000 RPM and doesn't occur in 5th gear prior to 1800 RPM. Are these common characteristics of the car?

Need help from someone with experience on this issue or if this is normal. Any comments are appreciated.
The revs shooting up between shifts is normal. As said before, it's part of the emissions control system making sure that all the fuel is burnt. If you get a custom tune, it won't be as bad but I still have it a little bit with my Bamachips race tune.

The droning is also normal, nothing you can really do about it except try different axle-backs.