Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does Ford say we can't run tire chains....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 01:26 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why does Ford say we can't run tire chains....

Yeah and you could have a set for the front; I would mount them before the storm and remove when decent weather window reappears. They are terrible on wet roads and not so good for braking on dry either, so I would use them as needed; though I do have a garage where I could do quick swaps if I was daily driving mine. Those chains you mention sound quite good and the install with 0psi seems like a good idea though I'd read what the mfg recommnends. Good luck. As far as the winter beater, there are hassles with that and you could just as easily get stuck/stranded and I don't mean "traction wise".
Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Ok, I'm back from shoveling the driveway. To the guy that said I would plow and then high center. Not so much out here. We usually get the dry, powder type snow and it just pushes to the side like goose feathers. We can run studs year round out here and frequently need to. I did with the Buick that I traded in for the GT. Just couldn't find any that were the right size. With these chains that I have coming, no need to use the 0 psi method because of the self tighteners. They stay tight no matter what. Useing chains or even studs for that matter is a state of mind. You just have to condition yourself. I went 20 some years before I bought my first set of studs. After that, I asked myself what took so long. The only thing about them is once the roads are dry, which usually happens by 10 AM the day after a storm, (remember, we are in the Banana Belt) the stopping distance is reduced and it soundes like you are running over broken glass. I run the stock KDW's and it will be a good solution I feel to just throw on the chains and take em back off a day or so later.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:19 PM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

Did you ever see the damage a chain can do if it breaks just one crosslink. It can really give your fender a good thrashing. Maybe that's why they say not to use them. Look at a local cop car all those paint chips around the rear wheel well where probably caused by a chain that let go.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Retro

Did you ever see the damage a chain can do if it breaks just one crosslink. It can really give your fender a good thrashing. Maybe that's why they say not to use them. Look at a local cop car all those paint chips around the rear wheel well where probably caused by a chain that let go.

First of all, these are cable chains, not links, but I get your meaning. I have run chains for years with no breakage. The thing is, you need to examine them before you put them on each and evey time. This should elliminate a break but if it does happen, the speeds that I will be driving around town are 20 mph and less so common sense would be to pull over as soon as it happen and take the darn thing off. Cops don't care about their squad cars. They don't have to fix them. It is plain to see that Ford doesn't sponser the chains on our low profile tires because of clearance issues. I looked at the GT and the only thing close is the shock and at it's closest point, I still have 2 inches of clearance. Ford does say you can chain up a 6 banger with 16 inch rims though. Got them ballon tires and more clearance I suppose like maybe 5 inches.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Ford is just covering their ***.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThumperMX113

Ford is just covering their ***.

I suppose so. I mean, some fool might try to wrap a log chain around there and rip off the whole axle.[X(]
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

I know from36 years of driving experience that ANY low clearance vehicle isn't worth CHIT in snow deeper than the vehicle'sclearance itself. You'll end up plowing it until you're actually lifted on top of it and the chains won't do crap. At that point you'll need a tow. Be my guest... I ENJOY watchingentertainment and reading about how suprised each person is when they post "I CRASHED", "I SLID INTO A DITCH", "I WRECKED", etc...

I once did like you say........I was in a little pickup with chains and plowed snow so high, that the headlights were blocked. I backed up, got out and stomped the snow down, got a run at it and was going again plowing some more. Did this all the way on my 1/2 mile long driveway until I got out on the county road. If I didn't have chains, I'd still been back at the house. What's with all this negative talk about alternative traction devises? Hell, without chains out here, no trucks would be westbound during or after a storm.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

"Why does Ford say we can't run tire chains?"

Umm.....maybe because that is just plain wrong?????
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

"Why does Ford say we can't run tire chains?"

Umm.....maybe because that is just plain wrong?????

I doubt it. It will get you from point A to point B. It does nothing to promote Ford's image with the Mustang but it may sell a few sets of tire chains.