Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very Practical Purchase Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Very Practical Purchase Stereo

Here is my newest purchase...(still subject to change if you convince me)

avic D4 - 900
5-7 2 way speakers for the doors - 100 for the pair
8 inch subs for the rear deck lid - 200 for the pair
300 watt 4 channel amp to power the 4 new speakers - 220

the total of my system came out to be about 2000, which also includes the wires and installation and fabrication because the 8 inch subs will not fit into the rear deck lid easily.

i actually cant remember the types of speakers or amp that i bought....but i didnt want a box in my trunk and wanted it all to remain basicly stock looking. I also know very little about sound systems pricing and if i am making a good choice or not, unfortunately my knowledge of cars ends at the sound. Please help me
Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Very Practical Purchase Stereo

Post some pics when you are done
Old 12-21-2007, 12:46 AM
prozac
2nd Gear Member

I would not reccomend installing subs in your rear deck lid ... they need to be in a box to havethe sound quality you would desire from subs ... as for the 5 x 7's in the front ... I say go for a nice comp set in the front (elipse,kicker,apline,Focal,etc.)and a good head unit, D-4 is good if you want/need those featuresand then since you want the bass sound I would either take out or disconnnect your rear speakers and buy a form fir boxfor one 10" or 12" sub (yes they make a box that takes up very little room in s197's) and install that ... that my friend would leave you with a nice clean system on a not so high budget ... you could even go pioneer all the way through ... from the head unit to the comp set to the amplifier and subs

Also typically you do not want to run your subs and you car speakers off the same amp

Hope that helps
Zach
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 AM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

I would urge you to reconsider the head unit. You can get an Eclipse AVN6610 (one of the best ones out there) here for only $974.99 http://www.cartronixplus.com/templat...EF769C74CF706F

Also make sure you look at the Audio/Visual section of these forums. Take some time to browse through there and brush up on the basics. There are some really helpful and knowledgeable (sp?)guys there that will design a whole system for you if you post this up there and make sure that you include yourbudget, what kind of music you listen to, etc. so they'll have something to work with. They're currently helping me design my system.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
slySTANGguy
2nd Gear Member

i think you might have just changed my mind. I was only going with the pioneer because i used to have a avic n1, years ago that is, and i got to know it very well. The eclipse is touch screen right. It has a bigger screen which i like, and its basicly the same price.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:32 PM
djmac95
2nd Gear Member

IMO it's the best there is for our cars as far as Eclipse goes and is what was recommended to me as the best double din replacement head unit for our cars. Has navigation, two DVD slots, double din touchscreen, the works. And that price is the best I've ever seen for it. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one myself.

Also, if you're set on Pioneer and want to save a little money, that same site has the best price I have found for the AVIC-D3. You have to watch the site though, because they usually sell out within two days of getting them in. The AVIC-D3 is a good unit that a lot of members use, the only drawback being that you have only one disc slot so you have to change out discs to navigate. Look around a little as there are a lot of threads on this unit.

As far as your speaker choices go, most of the experienced guys will tell you to get a good set of components (mids and tweets) for the front to set your soundstage, forget about the rear deck, and do a nice sub or two in the trunk. Those guys are really into sound quality and seem to swear by this setup. If you need to do something on the back deck, then your 5 x 7 two ways are probably best suited for that, just don't amplify in such a way that they compete with your front components.

Hope this all helps and again I urge you to post this up in Audio/Visual so the experts can take care of you. Right now I'm just passing along information they gave to me.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:42 PM
06Redfire3V
5th Gear Member

avic d4? when did they come out with that? or am i just wayyy behind