Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VORTECH OR PAXTON? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default VORTECH OR PAXTON? HELP

Its time I ask for advice/help from members/friends who might have more experience on this than me. Im going with an S/C, that is for certain. Being I have 4.10's now, I think centifugal (Vortech or Paxton complete H.O. kit)will work best for me as I drive in traffic in LA[:@]often. Which one is better? What are the differences? Some say the air cooling of Paxton is better and some say the water cooled of the Vortech is better, which one and why? What #'s are you getting and whathave payed? And whatever other info you may have that might help? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:47 AM
lieu910
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: VORTECH OR PAXTON? HELP

Be really careful here, because there is no "better".

Both are very nice systems and are very similar. They are proven reliablesystems, and you won't go wrong with either. Moreover, the power you make with either systemwill be comperable.

I will give you my experience with Vortech.

I have the polished HO kit, and with 11.2 psi at 6400 RPM on a customdyno tune I made 463 whp. The only other mods were CMCV deletes and an axle back exhaust. I know of some other Vortech/Paxton owners producing slightlymore whp, but the tune is the biggest variable. I'll add that my numbers were with the stock 3.6 pulley.

I am very satisfied with Vortech, the kit fits very well and has performed flawlessly. It is a blast to drive with my 4:10 gears.

So, my advice is to put the "better" philosophy to rest, because it is really fruitless. I would suggest you find a good shop for installation if it is over your head, and let their preference or experience with either system dictate your decision.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Boss919
2nd Gear Member

I have been wondering thesesame questions, and emailed brenspeed for some answers. I think their paxton setup is the best kit for the price. Its intercooled and comes with their dyno tune. The vortech kit can get more expensive with an intercooler and will not make as much boost. By the way paxton and vortech are made by the same company. Just remember when you go FI, there is a real chance you will be sending a rod through your block, so if you can't afford to be replacing the engine, better not go FI, or at least keep the boost low.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Stangbanger3v
1st Gear Member

go with a PROCHARGER
Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Screw pro-charger...
MELLOW, call Justin at VMP tuning, he knows a lot about Vortechs. That's what is going in my car too.
According to him, the Vortech is the best Centri since you can push it further than any other right now.
He's running 16lbs[8D]on his sixer with stock internals. Faster than his GT500, last time I checked.

By the way, Vortech bought Paxton so you getting the same thing with either one.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pascal

By the way, Vortech bought Paxton so you getting the same thing with either one.
Ahhh, ya don't say? I've been looking at the Paxton SL's (self lubricating, I like that fact that you don't have to plumb the oilpan) and was debating the 1200 or 2200 series.

I'm leaning towards the 1200SL since I don't ever plan on going over 10lbs of boost, much less the 20lbs that it's capable of...
Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I talked to the Honchos at the PRI show and they prefer the non-self lubricated systemfor heavy duty applications.
Now, I can't have a long conversations with them since I'm short on knowledge with all this.
I'll rely on VMP tuning and learn there. They're only 20 minutes away from me.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

I've had a Vortech HO for about a year.... 10.2 psi @ 6350 made 435 RWHP on a MD. The best 1/4 time so far was a 12.35 @ 111 with a 1.79 60' - and the car weighs about 3975 lbs with 1/2 tank and driver! I do have supporting suspension mods as well.

The top end pull on the Vortech is amazing! I like the balance of being mild mannered in the low rpss <2800.... and being a beast above 3000.

IMO - Vortech is the leader in Centris they've been doing it a long time... The shop that did my work has a 90 GT 5.0 now making 525RWHP with a Vortech... daily driven for over 300,000 miles and in the fall ran 10.46!!!
Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I think they are both great. I went with the Paxton kit because it was complete...injectors, plugs, BA pumps and tune for under $5000. Went with the Brenspeed package and had them do the installation. With no other engines mods we layed down 483rwhp on the first pull. It's been running great since with no issues.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:14 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

Vortech at 11psi here(3.48 pulley). 448hp/423 tq on my "street tune".

Like the others said, top end is amazing and pulls like a bat outta hell(when its not spinning). I am running 4.10s here, and am averaging right at 20mpg of in town driving. I love the system, and it is extremely upgradable. You won't go wrong either way.

Quick Reply: VORTECH OR PAXTON? HELP