Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 11:11 AM
fin1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need new shocks?

ORIGINAL: mikev08826
If you drop it 1 inch with springs you WILL need new shocks for obvious reasons. If you do not get new shocks it may seem fine at first...but after a short while the stress on the shocks will be be too great and your brand new mustang will handle like crap.
Fair enough... I'm always willing to learn.

Can you please expound on the obvious reason as to why the stock shocks would be an issue? I'm only passing on what I've been told so I'm open to correcting if I was misinformed. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:15 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

dont you need a spring compressor? can you do these with kmart tools? [X(]
Old 03-18-2005, 02:20 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

AHHHHH! NO! Do not try to do this without the proper tools. You do need a specific spring compressor, you can borrow one from an autoparts store like Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts, you put down a deposit of probably $50 and when you return it they give it back to you. Compressing springs is extremely dangerous. They are under such a load they could literally kill you if not done safely. It is an easy job to do with the right tools, and even easier if you buy the springs pre mounted on shocks.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:30 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

For what it's worth, I talked to a Steeda rep who said that changing the stock shocks/struts is not necessary.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

hahah.. well.. I guess that takes care of that.. I'm getting some other poor mother$%@ to do it [sm=icon_beat.gif]
Old 03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
sicride
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fin1

For what it's worth, I talked to a Steeda rep who said that changing the stock shocks/struts is not necessary.
Key word, necessary. It is wise to change them. It is safer and you will get a better handling vehicle from changing them. But it is not necessary until the shocks are actually blown. They will function and most likely won't bottom out. As far as it being a Steeda rep, people have to keep in mind that Steeda is going to try to sell their product. Right now I do not believe Steeda offers struts (doubt they will either) for '05 Mustangs, thus they will not want you to believe that you will have to buy something else or someone elses product in order to use theirs. That would decrease their sales. If they offered struts, they would probably tell you the same thing, it is not Necessary but we suggest the use of Steeda Performance valved shocks and struts to accentuate the performance and safety of Steeda springs.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:40 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sicride

... Compressing springs is extremely dangerous. They are under such a load they could literally kill you if not done safely. ...
That's a bit melodramatic. About the most you'll get from car springs snapping back is a nasty bump. Struts on the other hand, could do some major damage up to and including killing you if if hits you in the right spot on your head.

I changed my own springs on my '99 GT. It wasn't difficult, just a pain in the but because of the tools I was working with. But those weren't coil-overs, either. I think I'll still attempt to do it myself on my '05 when the Pro-kit arrives. Might be an even bigger pain this time.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:52 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

How much is tht pro kit going for? Are those better the steeda?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:20 AM
mikev08826
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: fin1

ORIGINAL: mikev08826
If you drop it 1 inch with springs you WILL need new shocks for obvious reasons. If you do not get new shocks it may seem fine at first...but after a short while the stress on the shocks will be be too great and your brand new mustang will handle like crap.
Fair enough... I'm always willing to learn.

Can you please expound on the obvious reason as to why the stock shocks would be an issue? I'm only passing on what I've been told so I'm open to correcting if I was misinformed. Thanks.
Obvious reasons being that the shocks/struts are built for the springs that the car comes with...If it sits lower there will be too much stress on the shocks/struts, I think you can cut them...But i'm not really sure.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:20 AM
Nickdotcom
I ♥ Acer

Nah, cuttting gives that weird bounce and just doesn't feel right.

Quick Reply: Need new shocks?