Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frozen windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:25 AM
doode
3rd Gear Member

Default frozen windows

Well its the first time its happend to me. Don't know if any of you have had the same results.
Car was sitting outside for about 7 hrs, wasnt really THAT cold, -4 degrees celcius, but go to open the doors and the windows (both) wouldnt drop.

They were frozen in place.
Tried to use the window switches, didnt budge.

Took 20 mins of driving with the heat on before they started moving again.

Is this worth taking to the dealer to see if they can do anything?
Any of you experience this?

Thanks in advanced
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: frozen windows

I live in icy cold Canada and there's nothing you can do about it really. Happens to me several times every winter. And by several I mean like 20. Happens really bad when you wash your car and then park it outside when it's -30 C (-22 F).

I just open my doors slowly and then reclose them, and then open them, and reclose them over and over again, sometimes 5 or 6 times. The outside water seal on the glass (at the bottom) pulls away slightly when you open the door and after a few openings/closings the windows usually free themselves.

Or like you mentioned, if you're going for a bit of a drive just turn the heat up and they'll free themselves that way.

If you're worried about it you can turn off the auto up/down thing on the windows and leave them down just enough so they're below the over-hanging weather stripping stuff but still seal with the rubber weather stripping in the car, but I worry about crap getting into the car and just causing more problems so I've never done that.

Second winter with the pony, no worries about the side windows. Don't quote me on it, but I believe the windows motors have some kind of sensor which will throw the controlling breaker if they're really really stuck, so to not burn out the motor.

Otherwise, your car is behaving normally, no need for a trip to the bastard dealership. Your windows and their motors will be fine.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:58 AM
panzermk2
1st Gear Member

Actually there is something you can do. As a X-mechanic from the Midwest I have seen this problem for many years.

Go to your parts store and get a tube of AGS sil-glide Type of stuff you use on sealed caliper pins. It's a high temp synthetic grease with a very broad spectrum of temp operation. Rub a film of it on all your rubber seals. The ice will not stick to it at ALL. Works great.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:00 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: panzermk2

Actually there is something you can do. As a X-mechanic from the Midwest I have seen this problem for many years.

Go to your parts store and get a tube of AGS sil-glide Type of stuff you use on sealed caliper pins. It's a high temp synthetic grease with a very broad spectrum of temp operation. Rub a film of it on all your rubber seals. The ice will not stick to it at ALL. Works great.
Wouldn't that stuff smear on your glass?
Old 12-27-2007, 09:41 AM
swoosh
2nd Gear Member

Old trick I've learned is to put newspapers over the window. Yes for the sides you might have to use a low powered magnet (like something off of your refrigerator) to hold it in place on the roof and door, but it will get the job done and prevent ice from developing on the window itself
Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

buy a winter beater or just get a jug of COOL water and pour it along the seal when they are froze shut and it will melt the ice to allow the window to move then get in and fire up the defrost. works great on the windshield also when you get that really thick ice that you have to chisle off.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:18 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

RainX seems to help the ice not stick as much. I would rainX the heck out of the window. And that stuff wont smear.