Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:57 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

Default Rotors

Whats up guys/gals,

what choices of rotors do we have if we want to keep the stock calipers?

i want something a little bigger than the stock rotors, and something that doesn't rust [:@]

sorry if this is a newbie q.. thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2007, 06:02 PM
pnicholson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rotors

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

Whats up guys/gals,

what choices of rotors do we have if we want to keep the stock calipers?

i want something a little bigger than the stock rotors, and something that doesn't rust [:@]

sorry if this is a newbie q.. thanks in advance!
Hey there,

Sponsor here - we have rotors - Cross-Drilled, zinc plated, radiused chamfers (no sharp edges to get hot). Right now, free brake pads with rotor purchase, and free shipping (not sure how long the free shipping will continue).

If there is anything I can do to help- dont hesitate to call (866-278-8287 x134) or shoot me an E-Mail (PNicholson@Stillen.com). Will be here working on Monday - New Years Eve - till probably noon (CA time).

Page
Old 12-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Please PM me some pricing and specifics.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

me too
Old 12-28-2007, 06:55 PM
pnicholson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Larmo

Please PM me some pricing and specifics.
Hey there,

PM Sent - but figured I would post here also - so others know.

The front rotors are $289.90 per pair, rears are $249.34 per pair - Cross-Drilled, zinc plated, radiused chamfers (no sharp edges to get hot). In stock and ready to ship. Right now – giving free Stillen Metal Matrix pads with each pair of rotors purchased (the front pads are normally $71.76, rears are normally $60.06).

Also – through at least Monday (the end of the year) we are offering free shipping (with a $9.95 Insurance and Handling). Not sure how much longer the free shipping may go on. When they first started the promotion, they told us it would be through the end of the year.

Please don’t hesitate to call (866-278-8287 x134) or shoot me an E-Mail (PNicholson@Stillen.com) if there is anything at all I can do to help. I will be working Monday (New Years Eve) – till about noon or so.

Thanks again

Page
Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Baer (is that how you spell it?) sell a big disk kit with adaptors so you can utilise the stock calipers. The Ford calipers are pretty good, it's the disk which blow. Any increase in diameter is always going to be good.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Disclaimer: I AM NOT TRYING TO START A BIG BRAKE ARGUEMENT

But, that's not quite true Marcus.

ORIGINAL: F1Fan

ORIGINAL: exx1976

ORIGINAL: ChiDiddy

larger brake rotors do not help, its the pads, lines, and fluid that makes u feel the difference. Its all solely on the pads, and your tires.
Uhh, no. Have you ever DONE a big brake upgrade? I went from 11" to 12" in the front of my last car, and the difference was immediate and measurable.

Yes, good pads and good tires will make a difference, butregarding the first phrase of your post, I'd sure like to see some evidence to back it up..
Hi exx1976,

Youare mistaken about how brakes work and what is going on when you press on the break pedal. Brakes DO NOTstopthe car, TIRES stop the car. Brake systems justconvert the kinetic energyof the car's massinto heat, tires are thelimiting factor for stoping distanceif you have enough clamping force which EVERY modern car from the lowest KIA to the highest performance race cars have in spades.

There are many reasons that you may have perceived improved brake performance on you old car when installing largerdiam. rotors.Air in the brake lines, fluid leaks,glazed pads, worn pads, scored rotors damaged rotors etc. all reduce braking performance. The fact is that on any modern high-performance car with ABS if you can lock up the front tires and the rear tires lock up shortly after you have more than enough brake clamping force to stop the car as fast as is possible with the given brake system, brake bias, suspension, alignment and tires on the car. No amount of "extra" brake clamping force front and/or rear will stop the car any faster than the brakes on the car because more clamping force cannot be converted to more tire grip. More brake clamping pressure is frequently interpreted by drivers as "stopping better"but braking points on the road coursetell a different story just as insturmented brake testing does.

This is a fact and you can prove it to yourself if you have a fresh set of brakes and tires on the car. All you have to do isbuy one of thepopular G-meters and a set of larger brakes of your choice. Find a nice place to do your testing and baseline the stock brakes on the car and document thetrack and air temps of the test area. Nextyou just need to spend a day or two to install and fully bed and heat cyclethe new BBK rotors and pads. Once you have 3-4 complete heat cycles on the rotors retest under the same track and air temp conditions and you will have your answer which will be the same answer as everybody else how has actually performed insturmented brake testing, bigger rotors are no advantage until the stock brakes overheat.

Ah ha you say, I told you big brakes are better. Well no, not really as the stock S197GT brakes are more than adequately sized and can lock up the tires no problem. All you need to do is installrotors that are not made of cheap materials, a set of higher pads with a more reasonable MOT, wider heat range with a slightly higher friction coefficent than stock along with racing class brake fluid like Motul RBF600 or ATE Super Blue/Gold and spindle mounted brake cooling and front mounted ducts with 3" hose and you will bestopping even BETTER than the guy who only installed a BBK and is overheating his brakes.

HTH!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:19 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

That's all good info, but I don't think that anybody disputes the ability of the Mustangs brakes to actually lock the wheels. The question iswould they lock the brakes after being used enthusiastically? I suffered extreme brake fade on my stockers after just a couple of hard applications.

Anything that reduces heat build up is good, and larger rotors help do that. Some pad materials works with heat better as well of course but usually at the cost of efficiency at lower temps although I'm sure there is a good brake pad material which is a reasonable performer at all day-to-day temperature ranges.

Ofcourse, it could be argued that anything is better than the stock setup, I'm a definite believer of that one, even though some folk swear by them.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM
black S197
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

That's all good info, but I don't think that anybody disputes the ability of the Mustangs brakes to actually lock the wheels. The question iswould they lock the brakes after being used enthusiastically? I suffered extreme brake fade on my stockers after just a couple of hard applications.

Anything that reduces heat build up is good, and larger rotors help do that. Some pad materials works with heat better as well of course but usually at the cost of efficiency at lower temps although I'm sure there is a good brake pad material which is a reasonable performer at all day-to-day temperature ranges.

Ofcourse, it could be argued that anything is better than the stock setup, I'm a definite believer of that one, even though some folk swear by them.
You are correct...
Old 12-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

yes, but there is a point where it is no longer the rotors heating up/and/or larger rotors will not help and will simply add more unsprung weight. And the real upgrade is the pads

Quick Reply: Rotors