Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels Maufactured in China or Japan???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 07:27 PM
TMLFAN
2nd Gear Member

Default Wheels Maufactured in China or Japan???

In no way am I trying to bash their quality or anything. As I have been searching all over the web for new wheels I have noticed some of the MAJOR BRANDS of wheels are made in either Japan or China. For example, American Racing and Shelby wheels are manufactured in China. Was justcurious what you all think of this.

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-31-2007, 07:37 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wheels Maufactured in China or Japan???

This is what happens when you, and your parents do not vote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:42 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

You probably wouldn't believe the percentage of your car thats made overseas.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:59 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the new world economy. Unfortunately, the reality is, would you rather pay, for example, $2,500 for a set of 20" Razers made in the USA, or $1,200 for a set made in China? Thought so.

The US just can not compete in many areas of manufacturing, that's why all the jobs are going overseas. The costs of labor, legacy costs, health insurance, materials, and regulations over here is driving companies to manufacture elsewhere (where they do not have to worry about many of those things). I hate that it's happening, but it's true.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:11 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Don't believe that ****. If this is true why doesn't coke/cola, Carrier, or any of the pharmaceutical companies move overseas? The reality of that subject is we Americansdo not tarriff imported goods. Yet every exported product has a huge "foriegner" tax put on it as soon as it enters a soveriegn land. Our polititians ***** throughout the word because of their lust for wealth.
We have companies like Toyota and Nissan on our capital hill throwing millions of dollars at our politians like srippers at strip clubs. Not to mention the arabs. Think about it...We are the masters of mass production. Our plants revolutionized productivity and production. We mastered the Japanize tactics used in our automated production lines.

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Welcome to the new world economy. Unfortunately, the reality is, would you rather pay, for example, $2,500 for a set of 20" Razers made in the USA, or $1,200 for a set made in China? Thought so.

The US just can not compete in many areas of manufacturing, that's why all the jobs are going overseas. The costs of labor, legacy costs, health insurance, materials, and regulations over here is driving companies to manufacture elsewhere (where they do not have to worry about many of those things). I hate that it's happening, but it's true.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

Someone sure has an opinion on this topic, here is mine. "This is what happens when you don't vote." No, you appear to be one of those proud capitalism fanatics (without understanding what it is about), this is what happens with capitalism. Just deal with it. It is abosolutely hypocritical to say you support America and capitalism when you are so critical about companies outsourcing resources and jobs. People buy what they want because we support capitalism so get the off of that ****. No matter who is in office, the world economy is running its course. Not to judge anyones political affiliation, but the way conservatives bitch about taxes you think they would like cheaper products that are exactly the same. As a matterof fact,American workers are so worried to get home onFriday nights, etc that I actually trust foreign products more. I was putting togethersome leaf blower made inAmerica and what do you know, theplastic wasmoldedwrong. Although somepoor chinese kidprobably gets whipped or something if he made thatsame mistake, illstill take some chinese leaf blower over the american one.

Some other food for thought, foreign contries may put tarriffs on items, but we americans price gouge. for example, the typical 42 gallon barrel of oil has been costing $96 a barrel. Lets do some math now....

96/42 = 2.29 and how much am I paying at the pump? Often $3 a gallon. well 70 cents isnt that much, but remember the volume the oil companies sell them at!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
infinityonhigh
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

This is what happens when you, and your parents do not vote
I'm sorry, but that is a very ignorant thing to say. Voting has nothing to do with another countries' ability to produce manufactured goods at a price we could not come close to touching if we decided to manufacture them here. Voting might keep jobs within the US, but it will never stop this country from outsourcing to those with cheaper labor and manufacturing costs. It's pure economics and the "invisible hand" which we cannot control. You pay allot less for goods because of this, be thankful. Please don't be offended, I am not trying to attack you I'm just trying to inform you and those with the same view as you.

On a side note, some of those Japanese and European wheel manufacturers are top notch. It's too bad they are not carried by all the wheel distributers.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

Oh by the way, I am not trying to attack the above poster either. I am attacking ignorance.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I agree with you on the tariffs, but it's probably only a matter of time (if the current trends for outsourcing continues) before Coca Cola and pharmaceuticals are made overseas. A few years ago, no one could imagine "English-speaking" CUSTOMER SERVICE CALL CENTERS moving to India and elsewhere... but they did to keep costs down.

Are Shelby Razors made in China of inferior quality compared to if they were made here? Probably of equal quality, if not better. And, the price is much, much less to manufacture.

I post the question again: would anyone buy an American-made Shelby Razor set of wheels if an identical Chinese-made set of the exact same quality were available for a third the cost?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:04 PM
kyle2k
1st Gear Member

Absolutely positively, I also admit that if American wheels were a third of the cost of Chinese I would buy those as well. Praying to God they aren't molded like that damn leaf blower was [8D][:@]

Quick Reply: Wheels Maufactured in China or Japan???