Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Stang Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:03 AM
05stangawsomecar

Default RE: Automatic Stang Owners

I also have a Automatic, and I must say I am happy with it, can anyone chirp second gear, I can, probaly 6 out of 10 times, manual shifting, I shift just before she cuts out, I shift, and she chirps, also mine shifts pretty firm just cruising normal. And if I let it shift automatically it will shift firm but no chirp.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:49 PM
hd74man

Don't be a F8ckin' weenie...Only a broad or on of those urban type male metro-sexual would order an auto in a muscle-car...Can't handle a clutch in traffic? Go to Gold's and do some leg exercises...
Old 03-20-2005, 04:03 PM
JSlade8581
1st Gear Member

I actually live in San Diego right now - I'm about to roll out - but the manual is WAAAAAAAAAY more fun than an auto. I tell you what, nothing like dropping a gear (or two!) then blowing through a sudden opening in the traffic (which isn't really all that bad, depending on where you live). Driving is actually _exciting_. Get the manual.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:18 PM
MMike

Weenie or not, im from the uk, and trying to change gears with my right hand is nuts.. ill stick to an auto.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:21 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

I like my auto fine. The manual is faster though. Magazines can say whatever they want the manual stang is running low 13s the auto is running mid to high 13s stock. It drives well and shifts smooth so I have no complaints. I prefer auto for everyday driving. It is up to you though, the manual is also very smooth and it can take more power stock than the auto. So if you plan on doing alot of mods then the manual is probably better.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:40 PM
GWFoos
2nd Gear Member

I too live in San Diego and unless I wanted to get to work even earlier than I do now, traffic becomes the issue. LA is even worse as I lived up there and had an 84 Porsche 911 Carrera. I drove the heck out of it, when I could, but became tired of the endless idling and putting that car back into gear. Manuals are easier to drive nowadays then that car, but SoCal driving for a typical 9-5 job is tough. My advice is this: assuming the 9-5 grind and you like manuals better, you have the weekend where traffic is not really a problem and you can get out and go, which should probably have you decide on a manual. If you have the 9-5 grind and don't get out on weekends, the auto is probably the better way to go. If you like to eat, drink, flip channels, etc., manuals will limit the amount of flipping you can do unless you are cruising in one particular gear, which during the week is pretty hard to do with traffic.

Can you tell I flip-flopped on this? I, personally, would go with the automatic because of the traffic in San Diego although a muscle car in an automatic will draw the ire of performance enthusiasts who believe that it is not a muscle car without a manual.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:37 PM
badtzmaru
4th Gear Member

Traffic in San Diego suxx, If you have a manual there is hardly any open spaces on the freeway during the week that you can let it rip, know on the week end that is another story. I have an auto (1994GT) and I am loving it. Choose what is better for you.
Good luck!
Old 03-21-2005, 10:58 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

definatly get an auto, i have driven both, and what most drivers dont relalize, that an auto can do 80% of what a manual can do. You can still shift through the first few gears, and definatly in the city, (i live in downtown chicago), the automatic trans is boss. Either one however would be amazing. Its a win/win.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:44 PM
jimmbo

Can't find an Auto mustang on any dealer lot up here. Lots of manuals, V6s and Gts.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:04 AM
hybridmoments
2nd Gear Member

I had to get an auto so my wife could enjoy the ride too..and was thinking that an auto would suck...needless to say I was mistaken....I am able to to tweak the shift points with the X-box/software and I probably couldn't do a better job shifting myself....I'll go up against a manual anyday

Quick Reply: Automatic Stang Owners