Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension: coupe vs. convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Suspension: coupe vs. convertible

Lots to think about. I'm trying to improve my overall ride, including traveling on bumpy roads and cornering. Don't care much for track times, but I've got a heavy foot and wouldlove to improve my launch!

I would spend the $650 on shocks if it would make a noticable difference. (my CAI/SCT combo worth every penny.) I havethe Edelbrock stut tower brace but other than that I am stock. The sway bar seems like an inexpensive improvement, do I need front and back? Is the K-Member brace the same as Steeda's G-Track brace?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Girl, go to a road race shop in your area if you can...
See what's the first improvements they do to those cars with Handling.
Don't be affraid to ask things because not too many people heavily mod convertibles, so they'll have to dig down in their bag of tricks.

And yes, a big sway bar on the front is money well spend with shocks and springs combo. Then you have LCAs etc, the list is long.
The rear sway bar doesn't need to be huge.

Be aware that you won't fall asleep behind the wheel, like a Caddy or alike.
True good handling will let you know for sure of the roads conditions.[8D]

If you do springs, shocks andsway bars for now, you will have a total different car when cornering.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Thanks pascal,

The racing shop I am going to installed my Hurst and the mechanic was almost giddy looking up under the car on the lift. He pointed out lots of stuff but at the time I did not know what he was talking about. I learn alot more on this forum then google,which gives me lots of parts, but not much explanation.

By the way, years ago, I had a friend who liked to drink and I washis designated "she's the only one who drives my'67 Cougar home" driver.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Dave07GTCS

Im reading this with great interest since handling is in the first groups of mods Im planning this spring for my 07 GT/CS Vertalong with the CAI, Tuner and exhaust. I'm looking at the Steeda Handling Pak Stage 2. It doesnt say its not for the vert so I will find out before I purchase. The kit includes front and rear sway bars,strut tower brace,sport springs and nonadjustable shocks. Here is the link for the package http://www.steeda.com/products/s197_...ak_stage_2.phpWhat do you road racers think of that package or would you suggest something different.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: Margarita Girl

Thanks pascal,

The racing shop I am going to installed my Hurst and the mechanic was almost giddy looking up under the car on the lift. He pointed out lots of stuff but at the time I did not know what he was talking about. I learn alot more on this forum then google,which gives me lots of parts, but not much explanation.

By the way, years ago, I had a friend who liked to drink and I washis designated "she's the only one who drives my'67 Cougar home" driver.
Take your time on those mods...
See if you can test drive a suspensionmodded vert (or coupe)somehow.Since you already drove someone else's 67Cougar, I'm sure you'll find a raced up Stang to test drive.

Bye the way, I don't drink much, so you don't get to drive my 70 Cougar.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Mods are in my sig. My car handles great. Now, Idon't push its limits out of fear only.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Sam Strano
Former Sponsor

Do NOT do only a front bar on an S197. I speak from experience here what the car needs, espeically converts with the heavier rear and softer springs is more bar at both ends, and relatively more at the rear. You can get too much rear bar, which is worse than not enough, so you can't just go nuts. But a front bar only, while it will feel good at less than limit will cause more of a push near the limit (and the car is already geared that way), and cause the rear to just feel more out of sync with the front. Also, I have pics of S197's pulling inside front wheels when cornering, more front bar will only make that worse without some help in the rear to balance it.

My car is setup for autox in a stock class. I cannot change rear bars. I can change the front, and I did for one event. The car was too tight, and I went back to a stock bar (but I modified it to be adjustable) because it's a better match for the stock 20mm rear I have to run. On the Shelby, I run a middle setting on the front bar, full stiff was too much, and full soft was too little. You have to watch your step with bars, and springs need to be considered too because both add wheel rate.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Cool...
I will take note of this.
I'll have to go through the improved handling on my car. (so I can smoke some West Coast friends in those tigh Cannyons).
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

This is what I've settled on after several intermediate steps:
(2006 V6 5-speed Automatic Convertible)
Steeda 36mm adjustable front stabilizer bar with bracket braces
H&R 26mm rear bar
Steeda Sport Springs
BMR strut brace
Tokico D-Spec adjustable struts/shocks

With the GT front bar I was quite pleased with the predictability, control, turn-in, and user-provokable Under- and over-steer on demand. With the Steeda bar on the stiffest (short-arm hole) it seems even better, but I haven't done an autocross/battlefield test yet.

All my experience with those setups were on GT take-off 17x8 Bullitt/Pirelli 235-55 tires. Everything may change when I try the new 18x8.5 Fanblades/Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R 245-45 wheels/tires. I swear I'm getting more than one G on freeway ramps ...
Old 01-06-2008, 11:26 AM
dsavage

frank s
did the strut brace do anything

Quick Reply: Suspension: coupe vs. convertible