Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handling problems after service - opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:11 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Handling problems after service - opinions please.

Are you saying I need more toe-in (positive toe) then I have currently? It's already slightly more than factory specs (see first post).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Glengemen
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, but I did get my terms reversed. You still will need the toe in (positive toe)to track straight. I would first rotate the tires to see if this condition goes away, then I would haveit looked at by another machine and tech mishandiling of the machine or and inaccurate machine can be the cause. According to the specs your car should go straight, or again the specs are fudged. It is one of the 2.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:24 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

ORIGINAL: ZZLEGEND

i never rotate tires from one side to another. strictly from front to rear. radial tires are broken in turning one direction and when you turn them around they will sometimes have a tendance to start reversing the cord layers and they will possibly start seperating internally. i had this happen once. lesson learned. never again. in the old days with bias nylon type tires it was proper to rotate left front to right rear, right rear to right front, right front to left rear.
This WAS true for first generation steel belted tires.
Nowdays with any quality tire side to side rotation
is completely safe and nNO cord seperation will occure.

ORIGINAL: tr6nut

If the shop's equipment is screwed up or the tech doesn't know what he's doing, taking back to the same shop may not tell you anything. Perhaps you should take it to another shop and ask them to check the alignment. If they say its off, have them correct it. Then go back to the original shop and ask for your money back, since they didn't do the job correctly in the first place.
+1
Correct on all accounts for the above response.

Recheck your pressures and put the front on the back. If that doesn't work take it to another shop.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Here's an update - finally got around to rotating the tires (gave me an excuse to use my new torque wrench, jack, and jack stands). First I called Ford to see how they rotated them on the dayI had the alignment done. They said they do it front-to-back - no crossing. So, firstI switched the two front tires - right-to-left and vice versa. Not only was it no better, it seemed a bit worse - tramlining, pulling and wandering over depressions, etc. Gave it a few days - no good. So yesterdayI rotated front-to-back on each side - thus now the tires in front are now as they were before the alignment. I wasn't expecting any real improvement. Guess what - 100% better. no tramlining, no pulling, no wandering - back to normal. What a relief. So apparently I have some sort of issue with one of the tires that are now on the rear. Which means I'm just keeping them there untilI need new ones.