Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sequencing tailights...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Lubricant
1st Gear Member

Default Sequencing tailights...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...964184212&rd=1

Nice n cheap..
Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Sequencing tailights...

On a different thread, Lubricant posted this same link. I said in that thread that I had purchased one of these kits and would post my results.

Well, the kit came today. Took about 5 days to get here. Surprisingly not much to it. Couple of circuit packs about 2 inches square coated in silicon, couple of extra wires, few spade connectors, two tie wraps.

First thing, remove the tail lights. Once they are out ( thanks alot Ford, smart move on the placement of the subs ) you remove the dust cover from the inside bulb socket. Insert the supplied wire with the connector into the socket. Poke a hole in the dust cover with an awe or a small phillips screwdriver, pull the wire through, put the cover back on. Tape the wire down the harness, through the rubber gromet that goes through the back of the car. Cut the two red/white wires coming from the main plug. Twist together the connector side of the two red wires along with the wire you just ran and install a spade connector. Take the other end of the two red wires ( that runs toward the tail light assembley ) and install spade connectors on each. They supply a T connector for the ground, so it does not have to be cut. Once you have the connectors on, reinstall the tail light housings. Then it is simply a matter of plugging 4 wires from the circuit packs into the 4 spade connectors you built into the harness. That is all there is to it. Complete job from start to finsih took MAYBE an hour. If you don't have a Shaker1000, you could probably knock another 10 minutes off of the time.

They work great, looks kewl as hell with the emergency flasher on [sm=smiley16.gif]
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

I've seen adds for these sequencers for some time now... I'm confused...

Do the sequencers change the blinking pattern when you are breaking? or just when you use the turn signal or emergency flashers?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:12 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

They sequence one time ( from inside to outside ) when you put on the brake. They sequence continously to whatever side you have the turn signal on, or both sides if you have your emergency flashers on.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:13 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

On a different thread, Lubricant posted this same link. I said in that thread that I had purchased one of these kits and would post my results.

Well, the kit came today. Took about 5 days to get here. Surprisingly not much to it. Couple of circuit packs about 2 inches square coated in silicon, couple of extra wires, few spade connectors, two tie wraps.

First thing, remove the tail lights. Once they are out ( thanks alot Ford, smart move on the placement of the subs ) you remove the dust cover from the inside bulb socket. Insert the supplied wire with the connector into the socket. Poke a hole in the dust cover with an awe or a small phillips screwdriver, pull the wire through, put the cover back on. Tape the wire down the harness, through the rubber gromet that goes through the back of the car. Cut the two red/white wires coming from the main plug. Twist together the connector side of the two red wires along with the wire you just ran and install a spade connector. Take the other end of the two red wires ( that runs toward the tail light assembley ) and install spade connectors on each. They supply a T connector for the ground, so it does not have to be cut. Once you have the connectors on, reinstall the tail light housings. Then it is simply a matter of plugging 4 wires from the circuit packs into the 4 spade connectors you built into the harness. That is all there is to it. Complete job from start to finsih took MAYBE an hour. If you don't have a Shaker1000, you could probably knock another 10 minutes off of the time.

They work great, looks kewl as hell with the emergency flasher on [sm=smiley16.gif]
Something else that is cool with the webelectric set up is that when you hit the break the lights sequence then stay on. they will sequence everytime you hit the break. If you don't like this they have a supplied kit to delete this function.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:22 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: td1320
Something else that is cool with the webelectric set up is that when you hit the break the lights sequence then stay on. they will sequence everytime you hit the break. If you don't like this they have a supplied kit to delete this function.
Uh....didn't I just say that in the post right above yours?

hawgman Date 3/30/2005 5:12:59 PM
They sequence one time ( from inside to outside ) when you put on the brake. They sequence continously to whatever side you have the turn signal on, or both sides if you have your emergency flashers on.

[sm=wakeup.gif]
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

hawgman, yes you did say that in the post right above mine... which is why I was confused... what I'd read up until that post (plz note the Newbie status) made me believe that they only sequenced when you turned on the turn signals... hence my confusion... I appologize for making you repeat yourself, I just wanted to make sure I understood correctly from someone who had actually installed them, and not someone who was just saying how cool they looked in the add.

doesn't it sound a little dangerous that someone might be following you too closely and think you are turning on a turn signal, when you are really breaking hard to avoid an object or something?

do you know if there would be a way to wire the sequencer so it only operates when the turn signal is applied?
Old 03-30-2005, 09:48 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Actually, I was replying to ( and quoted ) td1320, not you.

Both sides sequence one time when you hit your brakes, and stay on from that point ( like normal brake lights, but with one more bulb). The sequence is only about a second long. If someone is following me so close that they only see one side sequence and confuse it for a blinker, they are going to hit me reguardless. So no, I don't feel it is unsafe. No more than I think the strobing brake lights that are popular on motorcycles are unsafe.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 PM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

if both the taillights sequence and then stay lit; why would someone think that a turn signal is on. last i checked you cant turn two different directions at the same time.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:17 PM
Silent Bob
1st Gear Member

Are there any vids of this? I like the turn signal part but the brake part sounds [:'(]

Quick Reply: Sequencing tailights...