Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger/turbo vs. car insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:44 AM
tlpvt
2nd Gear Member

Default supercharger/turbo vs. car insurance?

what do ppl here do with their car insurance after serious mods like s/c or turbo?
i mean, if something happens the insurance will surely deny a claim because the car had unreported performance mods...[sm=signs006.gif]
so one might as well not waist money on any kind of collision coverage because they will never pay for anything. telling the insurance company that you just supercharged your car doesn't soundgood either. [sm=smiley29.gif]
what is the reality of this? just considering the options before going s/c route...
Old 01-23-2008, 02:05 AM
danGT06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger/turbo vs. car insurance?

I'm pretty sure that the insurance company still covers the car, but you are out 5 grand for the SC. I've heard of people reporting the SC and their insurance went up a couple hundred dollars a year. That would have to be a pretty nasty crash to destroy a supercharger and you will probably be getting a new car anyways.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I went to State Farm and the agent is my neighbor. He is on the up and up and knows what you can bend (rules and loopholes) to get away with the cheapest insurance but still having full coverage. I had $10,000 in appearance mods done first and it was rolled into the price of the car from the dealer so there was no covering that up! I told my agent to make sure in the policy that it clearly sts what paint a body work I had done and if it would raise my coverage. He input the info and the rates never changed. Now I have the $8000 S/C (w/install and dyno tuning) and my neighbor knows I have it but as my agent he is just looking away from it as if I do get into an accident it wont matter (though the S/C will not be covered) the car and everything else noted will.

Like Dan06GT said if you get into a car wreck and the car is totalled 8 out of 10 times the S/C will be fine and you yank it off before it hits the scrap yard. If you are at fault the insurance companies will still cover it and take all factors into consideration when paying a claim. I mean if someone hits you and you have an S/C unclaimed on your insurance than the company still covers the car regardless if you have the S/C or not. This is the way I understand it and be careful and responsible and dont worry about anyone hitting you as you are covered. If you hit them you are covered and so is the person you hit regardless of what you have done to your motor. This is why we have accident insurance.....as accidents will and do happen all the time with many different types of cars!. Long winded yes but the moral of the story is be honest and shop around for prices on insurance and see if there is a great price difference from having the car with a S/C or without it.

Research goes a long way and being informed about what you are trying to do will make things much easier for both you and the insurance company you chose for your insurance needs. There are more insurance companies than we can use and they all want your business! JMO Hope it answers something or decreases anxiety about the moral dilema at hand for you. J
Old 01-23-2008, 07:49 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

+1 I have state farm also, my agent basically told me to keep all the paperwork and everything will be covered.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:00 AM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

+1 I contacted my agent to see about upgrades. She said everything I have a receiptsand paperwork for will be covered.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:55 AM
redxls
2nd Gear Member

I could go into a lot of scenarios here but it is hard to say what one compnay will do over another. my agent has all of my parts and exterior mods covered. I keep him up to date with my receipts. I pay more for the extra insurance but if my turbo gets destroyed in an accident it is covered.I doubt they are going to order me one and have it installed but they will pay you for what your receipts for the totalled parts are.
your best bet is contact your agent and discuss your situation, better to pay more for extra coverage then get the shaft.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM
billg

So much insurance misinformation! I've been in the business for 30 years. You do not have to call your carrier and report every time you do something to your car, and mods are not excluded. However, at time of loss, you have to prove what you had and what the ACV (Actual Cash Value or retail value) of your car was at time of loss. Since mods often do not add to your value and may even decrease it, it may be worth less!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

if its a total loss, a lot of the time since the car is still yours you can go in and rip your mods out and resell them. however.. when i had a car that was a total loss they asked me to fax in my receipts and they paid for part of it.. about 1/4 of what i actually paid.. that was through AIG(not my company).. different companies may have different standards, and state laws vary that they may have to follow, and they only have to follow the laws for the state the insured resides in, along with the federal. your insurance company and regional office may look at your claim of 5k for your supercharger being damaged in an accident and replace it for you.. hard to say... this follows in line with, all accesories that are permenant attachements to your vehicle are covered under your collision policy.. i recommend reading your policy, you can get a copy fromyour agent. (if its not your fault, and the other company wont cover it, you might be able to file a claim through your office, and they can recoup their costs from the other company).
Old 01-24-2008, 01:15 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Stae Farme told me that as long as I have receipts they will cover anyything on/in the car ina loss.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM
SixEight
2nd Gear Member

My insurance company told me that they'd cover the value of the stock car, regardless of what was upgraded, and that I could buy extra coverage if I wanted. State Farm sounds good.