Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found some wheels that I like...but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

Default RE: I found some wheels that I like...but....

This girl I used to work with had those rims in black chrome....they took so time getting used to but there ok in my book. Personally i like the deep dish rims.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

They would look alright if they were deep dish, but i'm not a big fan of flush faced rims on the S197.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:03 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CataclysmGT

Wider wheels do not reduce "downforce". The Force of Friction is what gives you grip. The formula for this is Force Normal x coefficient of friction. The cof is due to the rubber compound (how sticky it is, how it flexes etc). Force normal is the "weight" the care exerts downward at each tire. As you can see, nowhere in this formula does surface area (contact patch) exist. Surface area only changes pressure, which decreases with area. Since the pressure decreases, but the area increases, the force remains the same.
A tire has maximum grip at a certain operating temp. When this temp is exceeded, the cof drops rapidly, and therefore grips drops rapidly. Wider tires have more mass (more rubber), and more surface area. The mass means it takes more energy (heat........thermodynamics boys and girls) to raise the temp of the tire a degree. The increases surface area means the tire transfers this heat faster to the surrounding area, also preventing heat buildup. This means a wider tire will retain maximum grip longer then a thinner tire.
Tires do not have certain opperating temperatures, the rubber does, and this is not universal but instead based on the compound. anywho proper tire manufacturers place the temperature of maximum grip around the force required to break the tire loose, so while increasing surface area would help to avoid cooking and making useless a UNIVERSAL compound, the reality is that there is no universal compound and a tiner tire will have a compound that has an opperating temperature which compensates to the tire size and desired level of wear. opperating temperature may be important when figuring out how a burnout works or how to get the most traction, but tire manufacturers take care of it for all other things.

Also by reduce downforce, i was reffering to in terms of sections of tire that are equal in size. my bad for not making that clear enough, downforce per square inch is what I was talking about, and when you reduce that you reduce the coeficient of friction. Your tire size would increase by 100% but you will only get 150% of your original traction instead of 200% because you didn't doubble the weight aswell.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:18 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Temp, wear, coefficient of fiction still equals me not liking those wheels. Oh well, it's just my opinion! Give your car some lip! Its your car thoughdo what you want.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Interesting, has me rethinking stuff.

So same car on a 255/50/18 will launch better than a car running 285/40/18 on the rear?
On public streets that is.

I have always known the skinnier tire has better wet/snow traction.

The prius runs a skinnier tire for less rolling resistance, better mpg........
Old 01-25-2008, 10:30 AM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

If you're going to get them, go with 5-spoke.

Always go with an odd number of spokes unless it's a split-5-spoke type of 10-spoke wheel sort of like the FR500's.