Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 02:40 PM
rxdork

Default RE: Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?

it just takes a little gettin used to. I have a jeep wrangler and switching tween the two throws off my shifting for the first few throws.
I am still happy with it. Its short and sweet and like others have said will only get better.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

My policy is to never hold the clutch in any longer than needed to make a shift. I don't hold it down for lights, nor, do I use the clutch to hold on hills. Both are wearing to the throw out bearing, the other to the disc. I used to have a BMW. Clutch, throw out bearings, and labor expensive on those things. Fortuneatly, I learned the clutch thing before the BMW taught me. I also ride motorcycles. Nice thing there is the clutch parts are engine oiled (Yamaha '04 FJR1300) and you can hold the clutch in as long as you desire. In a car, you are melting the grease in the throw out bearing.

Pulling off the line in the GT is still difficult. I like to accomplish that with out excess slipping of the clutch and with out excessive engine revs. Both still working with on the GT, 1st gear is "taller" because of the engine's strength.

Where I've been having trouble is the 5th to 4th transition. Just went out and checked, the stick is in it's "true neutral" position in the "H" pattern, on the leg between 3rd and 4th gear. Which means if you "knock" it out of 5th, it'll fall into position for an easy move to 4th. That should make that move easier for me!

Just a memory. Long ago I had a very strong '64 Chev Impala Sports Coupe. I was in Florida, at light. Light goes green, I drop it into gear, pull effortlessly from the line, didn't realize till my shift point didn't come up pretty quick, I had managed to leave the light in 3rd gear with no effort. Don't think GT will do that.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:25 PM
showam1
I ♥ Acer

Interesting,

I have no problems with my GT, and I like the mustangs clutch. I had a new civic but when my wife took my volvo, I got stuck with the civic, never liked that clutch, traded it in.
I would imagine the V6 would be harder to drive due to the lower power.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: algregory

My policy is to never hold the clutch in any longer than needed to make a shift. I don't hold it down for lights, nor, do I use the clutch to hold on hills. Both are wearing to the throw out bearing, the other to the disc. I used to have a BMW. Clutch, throw out bearings, and labor expensive on those things. Fortuneatly, I learned the clutch thing before the BMW taught me. I also ride motorcycles. Nice thing there is the clutch parts are engine oiled (Yamaha '04 FJR1300) and you can hold the clutch in as long as you desire. In a car, you are melting the grease in the throw out bearing.

Pulling off the line in the GT is still difficult. I like to accomplish that with out excess slipping of the clutch and with out excessive engine revs. Both still working with on the GT, 1st gear is "taller" because of the engine's strength.

Where I've been having trouble is the 5th to 4th transition. Just went out and checked, the stick is in it's "true neutral" position in the "H" pattern, on the leg between 3rd and 4th gear. Which means if you "knock" it out of 5th, it'll fall into position for an easy move to 4th. That should make that move easier for me!

Just a memory. Long ago I had a very strong '64 Chev Impala Sports Coupe. I was in Florida, at light. Light goes green, I drop it into gear, pull effortlessly from the line, didn't realize till my shift point didn't come up pretty quick, I had managed to leave the light in 3rd gear with no effort. Don't think GT will do that.
I pulled out of my windy *** driveway going to school early in the morning in 3rd.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
mojopony
1st Gear Member

I've gotten used to it, but I still don't like it. Maybe the lower pedal effort was a ploy to attract more female Mustang drivers.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:05 AM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

even if youd been driving stick for years....each car has its own friction point that you hafta get used to
Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

When I tes drove a 05+ GT it felt really good. The only problem I had was when I test drove the car my foot seemed to line up on the break pedal so I wasnt pushing the clutch in and the car wouldnt start. The dealer goes "These things wont start without the clutch in".
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I have no problem shifting. My clutch has a high contact point and I like it that way. A short throw shifter doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM
chgoparts

i personaly found the clutch quite smooth on the 05 gt i took out the shifter felt a litttle rubbery almost subaru feel but that can always be changed
Old 09-25-2007, 11:40 AM
07torchgt
2nd Gear Member

ours dont but yeah the subarus do

Quick Reply: Is anyone else as bad at shifting the 5 speed as I am?