Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Joined

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:56 AM
CPTspeakout

Default Just Joined

Well my first post...here's hoping many joyous intelligent conversations follow.
So I'm a member of the US Navy soon to be shipped out to the USS Charlotte out of Pearl Harbor Hawaii. On my 40 days of Leave before hand I will be picking up a new Mustang GT. Now for the true point of the post, the last Stang i owned and worked on was a 67' coupe and while I've done my research on the new models I'm looking for a little personal experience on the Up's and Downs of them. Any help I get will be greatly appreciated, so thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just Joined

welcome to the forums... basically the up is the engine and the design, the down is..... what was it again?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

First of all, thanks for serving our country! My brother in law retired from the Navy in Oct with 33 yrs in!
Congrats on the Mustang. I got mine last April. I LOVE IT.... First Mustang I drove was my sisters '69 and I have had a thing for them ever since. Once I saw the body style of the S197 I had to have one.
I have gotten TONS of ideas and advice on this forum over the past year, and have found it to be the best one out there.
Hope you enjoy the forum!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:09 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

welcome to the forums! you will find this to be an informative and entertaining internet pitstop, i'm sure! and as far as the ups and downs go, and to be only general, i've discovered many, many ups, and few downs. enjoy the new ride!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Thanks for serving our county! As I have come to find out,the only down side is money to do the mods, unless of course you have a very understanding wife. What I do is hold over her head the fact that I sold my previous car for her, that seems to work just fine for me! Yeah, that would be theunderstanding part.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Good Luck on your assignment and welcome to the forums.

Helpful Tip #1) Don't use red lock-tite on your oil drain plug. Or blue lock-tite. Or ANY lock-tite.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:19 AM
CPTspeakout

The design was what really pulled my into getting a new one. My 67' I loved however I ran into some monetary problems and was forced to sell it. Well anyway my Father somehow ended up with it[:-]and refuses to depart with it[X(]. Well I'm currently in NY with a detach date of Feb 15 and a report date of 25 March however pics of my ride won't be posted until around May as the Navy will take 1-2 months to get my car out to Hawaii. So thank you for the warm reception.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:21 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Thanks for serving. We both have something in common as the last Mustang I had before this one was a 67 Coupe. You can learn everything you want to know about the S197 on here and plenty you don't want to know. WELCOME!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Welcome and be safe.

The up side of the stang- it's just made better and the floor won't rot like it did on the 67's. It amazes me how well both the 6 and 8 perform compared to the classic stangs and adding HP is a heck of a lot easier

the downside- people that don't own one and drive more expensive cars like beemers, lexus etc will wonder why that guy in the mustang has a sh@t eating grin just driving around
Old 02-01-2008, 09:44 AM
CPTspeakout

Ahh floor rot...how I hate thy.
Though I won't miss that I'm really looking forward to a modern suspension, brakes, and this new fangled contraption called "Power Steering"

Quick Reply: Just Joined