Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 V6 has ABS???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 07 V6 has ABS???

ORIGINAL: kdrshocker

i have an 07 V6 Premium with the pony package but not traction control.. my question is: do all mustangs have ABS or was that an option on the 07s? i'm getting conflicting information from several diff sources. i could have sworn that it was an "option" when i bought the car...
I have an 07 PP and I don't have ABS...it was an option that I felt I wouldn't need. When it rains, the car stays home.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Threshold breaking - In a nutshell, is when you push your breaks to the point where they almost lock up. You wouldn't want our ABS system to kick in because you are counting on the cars breaks and pushing them to their limit.

About TC and ABS - OUR ABS is pretty rudimentary. It is simply to keep the wheels from locking up. While it does accomplish that, our system adds a lot of stopping distance. More sophisticated systems found on Porsche, Audi, Ferarri and most Aircraft are far more advanced then our own. those systems are designed to stabalize the car or aircraft on the pavement and increase performance rather than simply prevent the car/airplane from skidding.

In a performance(read Track) environmentI would not want OUR TC/ABS system. In an every day driving environment you bet your *** I would.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: acrokat

Threshold breaking - In a nutshell, is when you push your breaks to the point where they almost lock up. You wouldn't want our ABS system to kick in because you are counting on the cars breaks and pushing them to their limit.

About TC and ABS - OUR ABS is pretty rudimentary. It is simply to keep the wheels from locking up. While it does accomplish that, our system adds a lot of stopping distance. More sophisticated systems found on Porsche, Audi, Ferarri and most Aircraft are far more advanced then our own. those systems are designed to stabalize the car or aircraft on the pavement and increase performance rather than simply prevent the car/airplane from skidding.

In a performance(read Track) environmentI would not want OUR TC/ABS system. In an every day driving environment you bet your *** I would.
+1
nothing beats careful pre anticipation driving

being aware and not tailgating helps as much as ABS does
ABS allows you to turn and navigate out of a crash
while applying the brakes

most drivers push and push with no more stopping power
and forget to turn out of harms way [:@]
Old 02-06-2008, 08:09 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

abs sucks....don't have it on my mustang and i wouldn't want it...i drive a newer big delivery van all day and hate the abs - especially in the snow....slow down perfectly fine but when you're gettin close to stopping the damn abs kicks in and triples the stopping distance...and that's when already going 5-10 mph...now on my "ancient" 71 mopar, i can stop when i want to, how i want to......in my mustang without abs, same thing.....in my ranger without abs good braking....my other cars with abs - nah, i'll pass on this any time possible - same thing with traction control, can't stand it

[/align]
Old 02-06-2008, 08:40 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

An excerpt from the Wikipedia article on ABS:

"On high-traction surfaces such as bitumen, or concrete many (though not all) ABS-equipped cars are able to attain braking distances better (i.e. shorter) than those that would be easily possible without the benefit of ABS. Even an alert, skilled driver without ABS would find it difficult, even through the use of techniques like threshold braking, to match or improve on the performance of a typical driver with an ABS-equipped vehicle, in realworld conditions. ABS reduces chances of crashing, and/or the severity of impact. The recommended technique for non-expert drivers in an ABS-equipped car, in a typical full-braking emergency, is to press the brake pedal as firmly as possible and, where appropriate, to steer around obstructions. In such situations, ABS will significantly reduce the chances of a skid and subsequent loss of control.

In gravel and deep snow, ABS tends to increase braking distances. On these surfaces, locked wheels dig in and stop the vehicle more quickly. ABS prevents this from occurring. Some ABS calibrations reduce this problem by slowing the cycling time, thus letting the wheels repeatedly briefly lock and unlock. The primary benefit of ABS on such surfaces is to increase the ability of the driver to maintain control of the car rather than go into a skid — though loss of control remains more likely on soft surfaces like gravel or slippery surfaces like snow or ice. On a very slippery surface such as sheet ice or gravel it is possible to lock multiple wheels at once, and this can defeat ABS (which relies on detecting individual wheels skidding). Availability of ABS relieves most drivers from learning threshold braking.

But part of the answer is that on heavy snow, locked wheels can be useful because they gather up a "wedge" of snow which helps to slow the vehicle. ABS allows this wedge to clear every time the wheels are unlocked. The same can apply on sand in some conditions."

Martin