Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Supercharger

You can easily use it as a DD and the power is only there when you push the pedal to a certain point (say >75%) and the whipple uses little HP to turn the compressor so effiency is great! To be honest the best way to describe the feeling of the S/C is imagine going from a small block V-8 to a big block V-8 with the extra 50-80% more power on the H.O. kit.... JMO but you will not be dissatisfied! Any warranty left will be null and void on the drivetrain esp if they can tie the malfunction to the S/C....(i.e. detonation from running lean and boom! the motor blows a rod and cracks the block)......make sure you use the stock tune or a custom tune from an experienced tuner that knows the S197 4.6L 3V V-8!

ORIGINAL: wattmhite

Ok, thanks for everyones input, I'm kinda leaning towards the whipple, when you said, power all the way through the entire rpm range, does that mean I can still use it as a daily driver or ??

Old 02-16-2008, 02:44 AM
White Pony

ORIGINAL: cheftjpeck

ORIGINAL: White Pony

In my opinion the Whipple is a good choice. I personally prefer screw type superchargers to centrifugal or roots type. I've had friendswith both Procharger (Centrifugal) and Whipple (Screw) superchargers ontheir boat engines, and the screw type seem tohave noticiblyless lag. They will both producesimilarboost and power gainsthough.

If you decide on a screw type, there are several options out there. Besides Whipple, there is Roush (the same unit as they put in their Stage 3 Mustang packages), Saleen, Kenne Bell, and even a Ford Racing branded version of the Whipple unit. Personally I like the way that ascrew type supercharger looks in the car. Paxton and Procharger units work well, but I just think that centrifugal superchargersmakean engine compartment look cluttered in comparison.
sorry, Rosuh is NOT twin screw it is roots based supercharger. any of the 3 twin screws you would be very happy with....(Saleen, Whippple and KB) I love my saleen but the other 2 are freaking awesome as well...good luck no matter what you choose....
Sorry Cheftjpeck, you are absolutely right, the Roush IS a roots type. When I posted that I had just been Here: http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/...e&aid=3141and they had it listed as a twin screw. I don't have any actual hands on experience with Roush SC's, only Whipple and Procharger. LOL Next time I'll check my references better before sticking my size 10 in my mouth.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Im going to go the procharger route, just for the simple fact that I love the giant intercooler front mounted and the sound of the blow off valve and the nasty sound it makes at idle. but yeah If I wasn't dead set on what I want Id go with whipple of saleen.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

I was considering the saleen supercharger for my 2006. I take it drifting and is more than great now (withonly steeda CAI / flash) the extra power down low from the S/C would come in handy. My only concern is if the OEM internals of the motor can withstand the beating of 430hp + and that I can kiss my 7yr ESP goodbye. Any advice ?

www.youtube.com/hazardsports
Old 02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
rford426
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TOMBSTANG

Im going to go the procharger route, just for the simple fact that I love the giant intercooler front mounted and the sound of the blow off valve and the nasty sound it makes at idle. but yeah If I wasn't dead set on what I want Id go with whipple of saleen.

i just wish the procharger had a super loud whine
Old 02-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

The Procharger does have a loud whine.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:33 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I am running a stock rotating assembly, as is justabout everyone else at my power level. General consensus is that you don't start running into problems until you start making 450-460 wheels..

Old 02-16-2008, 01:38 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thurman

The Procharger does have a loud whine.

as loud as the kb??
Old 02-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

No, not quite as loud a KB, but you can tell it has a sc.

Thurman
Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 PM
motoxdirtrider84
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: exx1976

I had my install done by Brenspeed in Pierceton, Indiana. It was the best experience of my life as a consumer. Their customer service is second to none, and they even pay for a hotel room for you so you can drive out and have it done. And at $650 for a one-day install, including a dyno pull, who'd complain??

How long did it take you to drive it there? I have bought a few things from them are you are exactly right, awesome customer service. I want to get my SC installed there but I live in NJ.

Quick Reply: Supercharger