Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:40 PM
wattmhite
1st Gear Member

Default Supercharger

Gents, I have a 2006 Gt with 30k miles. I want to take the next step and get a supercharger but, I'd love to hear the opinions of different owners who have installed and lived with these superchargers, recommendations?
Also, is it going to increase or decrease the resale value of my stang, I plan on selling in 4-5 years, the reason I ask decrease is because don't superchargers decrease the engine life and reliability?
Thanks a bunch
-Matt
Old 02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger

Why are you going to sell? lol[8D]I have the HO Polished Whipple with the FRPP tune and it runs amazing, power is through the entire rpm range, gas mileage has little change to stock as long as you stay out of boost, and it fits perfectly! Highly recommend this kit to EVERYONE
Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Well, it won't necessarily decrease the resalve value of the car, BUT-- when you go to sell, do not expect to get any money for the supercharger. Expect whatever fair book would be without it.

Also, you'll need to sell it private party. Dealerships aren't too fond of taking in cars with aftermarket superchargers (well, at least not taking them in and giving a fair value)..

I had my install done by Brenspeed in Pierceton, Indiana. It was the best experience of my life as a consumer. Their customer service is second to none, and they even pay for a hotel room for you so you can drive out and have it done. And at $650 for a one-day install, including a dyno pull, who'd complain??

Numbers and mods are in my sig below. I bought the stage 2 and added the Saleen Extreme inlet tube. Check it all out at www.brenspeed.com

Old 02-15-2008, 08:28 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

my advice is to not worry about how much each one costs. of course you want to get the best deal you can, but dont get one over another just bc its cheaper. there are a lot of great SC out there, it just depends which one you REALLY want. if you're gonna spend thousands of dollas on a SC, you gotta get the one you really want.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

+1...you need to determine what type is best for you. I went with the Brenspeed Paxton kit and have been very happy with it. Had it for almost a year and have had no problems. It makes great power (details in my sig) but being a centri it's a bit different then the twin screws (Whipple, Saleen and KB).

As far as resale, you'd probably be better off with a private sale as the dealerships won't give anything near what it's worth.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:20 PM
wattmhite
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks for everyones input, I'm kinda leaning towards the whipple, when you said, power all the way through the entire rpm range, does that mean I can still use it as a daily driver or ??

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

i do tons of highway driving and have the paxton novi 1200 (air/liquid cooler too) and its great mid range and AMAZING up top. driveablitly is amazing (i dont get on the highway to commute but still the car stays outa boost and if i want down shift to second and BOOST!)
Old 02-15-2008, 11:56 PM
White Pony

In my opinion the Whipple is a good choice. I personally prefer screw type superchargers to centrifugal or roots type. I've had friendswith both Procharger (Centrifugal) and Whipple (Screw) superchargers ontheir boat engines, and the screw type seem tohave noticiblyless lag. They will both producesimilarboost and power gainsthough.

If you decide on a screw type, there are several options out there. Besides Whipple, there is Roush (the same unit as they put in their Stage 3 Mustang packages), Saleen, Kenne Bell, and even a Ford Racing branded version of the Whipple unit. Personally I like the way that ascrew type supercharger looks in the car. Paxton and Procharger units work well, but I just think that centrifugal superchargersmakean engine compartment look cluttered in comparison.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: White Pony

In my opinion the Whipple is a good choice. I personally prefer screw type superchargers to centrifugal or roots type. I've had friendswith both Procharger (Centrifugal) and Whipple (Screw) superchargers ontheir boat engines, and the screw type seem tohave noticiblyless lag. They will both producesimilarboost and power gainsthough.

If you decide on a screw type, there are several options out there. Besides Whipple, there is Roush (the same unit as they put in their Stage 3 Mustang packages), Saleen, Kenne Bell, and even a Ford Racing branded version of the Whipple unit. Personally I like the way that ascrew type supercharger looks in the car. Paxton and Procharger units work well, but I just think that centrifugal superchargersmakean engine compartment look cluttered in comparison.
sorry, Rosuh is NOT twin screw it is roots based supercharger. any of the 3 twin screws you would be very happy with....(Saleen, Whippple and KB) I love my saleen but the other 2 are freaking awesome as well...good luck no matter what you choose....
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 AM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

I drive the car daily around town and on the interstate EVERY DAY with a 10 psi pulley on. When i drive like a granny around town I get from 18-19 mpg when shifting at 2000 rpm(16-18 for normal driving with medium acceleration and shifting at 2500 rpm)and on the interstate when cruising and i run between 80-85 I get 20-25 mpg (depending on hills, having to accelerate around a car that is going too slow, etc.)

Quick Reply: Supercharger