Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can this bumper be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:57 PM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

Default Can this bumper be fixed?

Long story short I bought a CS bumper off of ebay. The discription said it was "damage free". I bought it and when I got it there was a pretty decent size crack, that looked like they tried repairing, but obviously didn't work. Along with a few other minor things. I b!tched at them and they were supposed to send me a new one... well they never did and I ran out of time to file a dispute with paypal[:@] So I'm kind of stuck with it. Here's a few detailed pictures... does anyone know if there's anyway to repair this? It's plastic and I just don't know because it's a pretty good crack.

And does the grill attach to these brackets? Because those are broke too.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Can this bumper be fixed?

ouch. those clips in the third pic probably should not have been ripped off.

looks like someone ripped that bumper off whatever it was on.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You need to report those crooks[:@].
E-bay is getting bad.

Anyway, if the right urethane is used, that bumper could be fixed.
Take it to a decent shop and see whet they say.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

If you can get your hands on some nylon mesh and some 2-part epoxy, you can probably fix the crack. As for the clips, I do have an idea, but it's kind of hard to explain, so try to follow.

Imagine you're looking down the length of your grill so you can see the edge and the two nearest clips sticking out of it:

Okay, now imagine those two clips fit into the holes in your bumper with the damaged clips, like this:

__________________ <grill face
----[--------------]----- <bumper face (the two brackets represent the clips sticking out of the back of the grill and into the bumper receiving holes)

Obviously, since the clips in the bumper are broken, there is nothing for the grill clips to grab onto. So I'm thinking if you can get a small piece of plastic, maybe at a glass or hardware store, something about the same thickness as the bumper, and just slightly longer than the distance between the clips, you might be able to glue it to the back side of the bumper, thereby creating two new clips in the bumper. Like this:

__________________ <grill face
----[========]----- <bumper face + extra piece of plastic to receive grill clips

Again, this is hard to describe, but see the double lines between the grill clips? The bottom line is the new piece of plastic glued to the back of the bumper, and the top one is the face of the bumper. The new, extra piece should be a little longer than the space between the holes. This way, you're basically creating two new clips to receive the clips on the back of the grill.

Confusing enough for you?

Old 03-02-2008, 11:56 AM
awsomeaussies206
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys for chiming in! I did everything I could with ebay and paypal and still got screwed over Oh well live and learn I guess. I did buy some nylon mesh and epoxy... but the more I look at it and play with it, it just doesn't seem to want to squeeze together very well. I think I'll give it a shot, it's not like I could make it any worse. Otherwise I'll just take it to the shop that was going to paint it in the first place and see what they say. Good idea with the clips! I wasn't really sure what they were for since I havent had to take the grill off yet, but I guess there important[sm=smiley13.gif]
Old 03-02-2008, 12:00 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

can be fixed but i think it will bug the hell out of me knowing that. i would just get a new one