Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Racing Gear Warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM
harperfam

Default Ford Racing Gear Warning

This is aword of caution for those installing Ford Racing Gears. After saving up and finally purchasing 4.10 gears, I am very upset. I researched for months and decided to buy thebest which I thought was the Ford Racing Brand. Wrong! My mechanic (who is very expirienced) worked on installing them for two whole days and was unable to get them to stop whinning. He made multiple calls to Ford Racing and spoke to them multiple times because he could not figure out what was causing them to whine. After taking the rear end apart and shimming it to Ford specs five times, the gentleman at Ford Racing asked for the part number off of the box. When it was given to him. He told us immediately what the problem was. It seems that Ford outsourced the gears ,to a company, in Italy. The guy at Ford advised me that they have had a lot of complaints about these gears and that he would send me Genuine Ford Gears if I could not live with the whine. The only way to tell the difference between the original Ford gears and the ones made in Italy is that the part number on the box ends with a M for the ones made in Italy. I am major league pissed off. Now I have 16 hours worth of labor cost for a set of gears that will likely always whine because they are substandard.Oh yes they are very annoying. How gracious of Ford to be willing to exchange the gears for the ones that I should have recieved in the first place so I can pay for another installation. Thanks Ford
Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Racing Gear Warning

Motive
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

and the fords end in A... you got motive gears. This is very well known issue, and has been detailed on the forum over and over again.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:08 PM
S19706
2nd Gear Member

That truly sucks bro
Old 03-05-2008, 08:09 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harperfam

This is aword of caution for those installing Ford Racing Gears. After saving up and finally purchasing 4.10 gears, I am very upset. I researched for months and decided to buy thebest which I thought was the Ford Racing Brand. Wrong! My mechanic (who is very expirienced) worked on installing them for two whole days and was unable to get them to stop whinning. He made multiple calls to Ford Racing and spoke to them multiple times because he could not figure out what was causing them to whine. After taking the rear end apart and shimming it to Ford specs five times, the gentleman at Ford Racing asked for the part number off of the box. When it was given to him. He told us immediately what the problem was. It seems that Ford outsourced the gears ,to a company, in Italy. The guy at Ford advised me that they have had a lot of complaints about these gears and that he would send me Genuine Ford Gears if I could not live with the whine. The only way to tell the difference between the original Ford gears and the ones made in Italy is that the part number on the box ends with a M for the ones made in Italy. I am major league pissed off. Now I have 16 hours worth of labor cost for a set of gears that will likely always whine because they are substandard.Oh yes they are very annoying. How gracious of Ford to be willing to exchange the gears for the ones that I should have recieved in the first place so I can pay for another installation. Thanks Ford
Too bad you weren't on the site sooner, there have been a ton of posts on the Motive vs FRPP gears and the different part #s to look for.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah this has been the case for awhile now from what I understand. I saw three box's of 4.10 Gears sitting on the shelf to be returned at the shop I use. When I asked why they said they were the M gears made by Motive for Ford and that they were crap!

Sorry your guy wasn't aware of it. I hope they get this taken car of quickly for you!
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

That's funny because I asked Jeremy at Strictly 3 times before I left... "You use FRPP gears right? Not motive.. Not FRPP gears made by motive right?"
Old 03-05-2008, 08:21 PM
harperfam

Thanks guys, I seen all the posts stating to stay away from Motive Gears but I didn't realize Ford was using thier gears under the Ford Racing Brand. Oh well live and learn.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

does motive make the 3.73's? because i really hope not
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I think it is just the 4.10's for now....

Quick Reply: Ford Racing Gear Warning