Vented Hoods? - MustangForums.com

2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:09 AM   #1  
T
1st Gear Member

Default Vented Hoods?

I see all these aftermarket hoods on the maket now with vents and intake piping, even the GT500 has vents don't have gutters at all. Where does the water go?? I know the shaker hoods have some kid of gutter system, but like the KR hood they use on K.I.T.T. for example, you are running hot and a heavy rain sets in, cool water crashing on a hot engine sure would seem healthy to me. Which brings me to the question of, where CAN'T water hit on an engine? i mean hell if it can rain on my motor i can probably use a hose to clean it, but there has to be limits, no?
T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Vented Hoods?

The only spot you don't want water pooling is in the coil packs. They become hot and crack, which causes misfires. I wash my engine and bay regularly, but I use high pressure air to blow out the water after, and have no issues. In order to get water ingestion frm the hoods, you would need a firehose spraying in constantly.
Scotte28516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #3  
T
1st Gear Member

See but for example, the hood below pulls air right to the intake, but i would imagine while raining, water would flow pretty easily in there while driving, which would pretty much cause it to dump right on the intake. Just an observation.

Credits: This image was taken from mrbodykit.com i have used it without permission but am using it in the interest for purchasing this hood, and in no way trying to use it for profit.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:26 AM   #4  
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Just be careful not to drench the engine. Ive driven in wicked rain before but I make sure I dont park it under the rain. And I avoid running water on the vents into the engine when washing.
MELLOWYELLOW06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #5  
T
1st Gear Member

I wonder how much of a possibility it would be to make some kind of detachable inner cover for the vents. The intake would pull from the normal place when the scoop is blocked off. I think the real task would be actually making it look good when the hood is popped. Maybe plexiglass or something. All i know is i have to ditch the stock hood on this one. That goofy bolt on scoop it came with is making my stomache churn.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #6  
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

The way mine are is they have drain vents on the bottom. But I have a heat extractor not a ram air. I would think though even in heavy rain the water would be mist by then.
PROMETHEUS PRIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #7  
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: T

See but for example, the hood below pulls air right to the intake, but i would imagine while raining, water would flow pretty easily in there while driving, which would pretty much cause it to dump right on the intake. Just an observation.

Credits: This image was taken from mrbodykit.com i have used it without permission but am using it in the interest for purchasing this hood, and in no way trying to use it for profit.
I have an almost identical hood and have zero problems with water.
SlinkyBMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #8  
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

I have sorta had the same problem as you. I am not looking to right now but in the future I am looking to get a hood. The ram air hoods that are just ram air I dont think you would have much of a problem with. The few turns and little rain to begin with that is going into the vents I dont beileve would be a problem. On the other hand, if you were going to get a GTS type hood (like I want) they have the heat vents to. This does bother me because driving you wouldnt get that much water in there unless it is a complete downpour but what happens when the car is setting. How do you keep the water out of the engine compartment. That is my 2 cents so basically I have the same question as you
BWfVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #9  
jerseyblood
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

The way mine are is they have drain vents on the bottom. But I have a heat extractor not a ram air. I would think though even in heavy rain the water would be mist by then.
I have the Saleen and its also a heat extractor hood. Water dumps out in the front (Prob the same spot as yours Prometheus)
jerseyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #10  
Vcoat
3rd Gear Member

I only drive on nice days so hopefully the rain will not be a problem...My hood did come with removable trays for the top vents.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31319/D2845E073C4149CE84BD6EBA96122062.jpg[/IMG]
Vcoat is offline   Reply With Quote