Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEST OIL?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:26 PM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

Default RE: BEST OIL?????

with that in mind the expensive synthetics that aren't really syntheticseem likea waste of money. The true fully synthetics are worth it if yer gonna do constant racing. I'm gonna stick to the ford synthetic blend until i get a supercharger (to be con'd.... )
Old 03-15-2008, 07:34 PM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

Does it show how constantly the oil was changed? synthetics due last more and in the long run they will keep the engine cleaner. You can kinda tell if a engine has always used regular oil or synthetic oil. The same way one that uses water/methanol injection. Hell I bet anything my 60k mile engine with water/injection will be cleaner than 15k mile engine that uses regular oil
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

I just changed my oil 800 miles "late".. and I have to say.. it was scary. I am using PureOne filters and Royal Purple and I think I am going to change to another oil. After only 3800 miles the oil came out watery, espresso black, and was even a little frothy.

I don't race.. I drive agressively.. but the oil looked like it had been in there for years. I don't expect oil to come out looking great.. but this was a little to "worn" I think. I'll try Mobile 1 synthetic next.
If that's the case than I think you might have other problems, especially if the water came out "watery". I've been using Royal Purple after the first oil change on my last three vehicles with no problems. I had a 2006 F150 with countless dollars in modifcations, $16,000 to be exact, and it saw offroad use every other day on average as well as many dirt roads every single day. I went 10,000 miles on a oil change and sent off the oil to Blackstone Labs, it came back fine with more miles left on it.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 PM
SkyMaster19
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

I just gotta throw this in, since too many posters seem to use the brands based on the labeling.
Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Syn Power, Penzoil Platinum, Quaker State, and too many other brands are NOT synthetic oils. They are regular oils that have gone through an additional step of refining called "hydrocracking". Google the term. Mobil 1 sued Castrol WAAAAyyyy back in 1999 over this "false advertising" claim of the use of the word synthetic in its advertising. The court ruled that since the end result was very similar to synthetic (in that the molecules are all uniform in size), the word was allowed in their advertising. Since then, all the oil companies joined the "non-synthetic" synthetic bandwagon.

Since the "non-synthetic" synthetic oils are STILL regular oil, they break down just like regular oils,they cant handle heat just like regular oils, the consistancy at cold temps is just like regular oils. In short, you are paying twice as much $$ for something no better than a syn-blend oil (which is usually about 90% reg oil and 10% syn).

This ruling is why Mobil 1 went ahead and made changes to their formula to be competitive $$ wise againt the non-syn oils. I dont know with absolute certainty, that Mobil 1 even has an actual syn oil any more. If someone has indisputable info on this, please chime in. It is hard AS HELL to find specific info about oils. Amsoil is theonly company I know of that readily offers the specs of every oil they sell. Why is that? Do all the other companies have something they dont want consumers to know?
With all this in mind, synthetics always outperform regular oils. If you choose to use regular oil, you will be fine as long as you are mindful of the change intervals, and dont mind the inards of your engine turning various shades of brown.
If you want to get the MOST out of your car, dont cheap out. You get what you pay for. Most people on this board are going to be extremely picky about what products touch their cars, and wont skimp when it comes to getting things. I know I am. So dont go and buy REALLY good oil, then show up at the check-out counter with a Fram filter. Thats being cheap. All the good parts guys will laugh after you leave.

I am a shop owner, and see vehicle carnage/abuse on a daily basis. So in a "Superman standing proudly" kind of way, I shall neverstray from truth, justice, and the American way. Amsoil red white and blue!
[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Oh andMustangs, too![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Can you guess what oil I use?

I buy Pennzoil Platinum from PepBoys when it's available with a rebate, I end up paying $1.50 a quart.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

I changed to RP at 1000miles
then did a few quick changes to be sure the assembly crap was out (2500 and 5000)
then went into regular 5K changes

so I've used RP 5W-20 and a K&N filter since 1K and it runs great
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM
nelias7306
1st Gear Member

they didn't mention what the interval was, but you are probably right about running cleaner because the synthetics tend to have higher flash points. I was reading that every engine burns a minute amount of oil at the top of the piston ring where the temp is extreme but it usually gets filtered away as long as you change your oil at the correct interval. i remember my mom had a quad 4 engine in a 94 buick skylark we ran conventional oil in it and changed it every 3k religiously. after a while it ran like dog **** so i yanked the motor out to find out why it was runnin bad. The problem was the exhaust valves were dirtyand the intake was gunked.But the cylinders and pistonswere actually clean as a whistle cept the tops of the piston had a little deposits.

we didn't drive it like we stole it either though like you would a mustang. The synthetics probably minimize the sludge build up but as long as you change the oil regularly i'd doubt it's enough to make a huge difference.

if anyone has ever done a test like that that'd be cool to find out what the results are as far as sludge build up. if it were a big difference then i'd be convinced to switch to full synthetic