Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Using a Tuner wears out the engine faster?

ORIGINAL: Missionary

Well outcome I will be buying a Diablosport tuner to do a 87 octane tune
That's great, but i would do the 91 octane tune, it gives you more power and actually saves you money on gas because your engine will be more efficient per liter of gas. At high prices like this, octane booster cost which is factored into the difference between premium and normal gas is kinda negligable. So the boost in mpg by making more power at lower rpm ends up costing about the same and often less than running a lower octane tune. So you can save gas and make more power at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

I would think the way our drive and Nitrous would be the 2 biggest contribs to it.. Thats my opinion..

So adding underpulleys will wear out the motor faster?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

This thread is a major waist of time.

Based on some of the arguments here.. you could say that manual cars have a shorter engine/drivetrain life because they tend to stay in the higher RPM range than an auto.
And I would agree with this statement. Listen you all want to believe that modifying your car is completely fine, and sometimes it is, but Ford tests hundreds of combinations with teams of engineers and tuners writing the stock calibrations... They are geared to please enthusiasts as well as the everyday driver, when you start to go out of those parameters, pushing the car harder, you are putting more stress on the car, moving things closer to their limits, and thus decreasing the life expentancy.

I'm not saying don't mod your car, I'm saying for every action, there is an equal and oppositte reaction, more power, more wear.
Yes. And they also use the same internals in our S197's as in the Shelby's, Roush's, etc. They also produce racing packages which essentially are the same thing as the packages as most of us are getting from aftermarket suppliers (albeit more expensive).

These cars are made to handle more horsepower. Believe me, if the engineers at Ford were given free reign, we'd all be driving cars that are on the same plane as a car like the Corvette. You'd also be paying for it. You're forgetting part of the equation. A focus group. And just as much time as the engineers devoted to "engineering" our car, you can bet there was an "equal and opposite" analyst trying to make the car affordable for that focus group.

My point is even though we got a decent stock car, don't think for a second that the engineers at Ford favored the mechanical limts over the financial limits.

~Fletch~