Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 and the V8, Generational differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Default V6 and the V8, Generational differences

So many people are debating/slamming each other over the V6/V8 choice. It got me thinking...

When I was in highschool, 1988-90, the muscle car was the car of choice. There were tons of cars to chose from. Small block, big block, ford chevy dodge it was all there. Everything build before the gas crisis of the mid to late 70's was still around and in good shape. The battle then was if you only had a small block v8 you were a *****. Even though my buddies 68 fastback with the 289 could keep up with the biggest and the baddest. You could find anything from the late 60's to early 70's in great shape and dirt cheap, or at least at a good price. 16 years old is coming of age for our culture. The freedom to drive. These cars were built before people worried about global warming and rainforests. Spotted owls and Kyoto emissions protocols. California emissions standards. Gas was leaded baby, and it was cheap. Senior year my cousin was running high 10's with his 66 stang with a 302 in it. But that was 1988... a long time ago indeed.

The American car of the 60's and early 70's was when the V8 was comon place, the big block V8 was in friggin station wagons for gods sake. It was America. In her prime, screaming down the newly build interestate highways at killer speeds before the 55 mph speed limit was forced upon us as a result of the gas crisis. Ever ride in a 1950 era family car? BIG BLOCK. AT LEAST TWO CARBORATORS if not THREE! The japanese car was a cardboard joke.

Fast forward to today. To find something from the 60's-early 70's is not easy and not cheap. They are still out there, but they are collectors items. Look at this car, the Mustang GT. It is styled to remind us of those days. Take us back. If you were young in the 60's it must really be a nostalgic trip. For me learning to drive in the 80's with my first car a 72 nova with a 305 it is a blast from the past. My brother had a 65 stang he bought for 700 bucks. Everyone I knew had something in a V8. Impala's, Chargers, Cameros, Dusters, Gran Torinos, the mongoose whatever, it was there.

Todays kids, I feel bad for them. All that are in the cheap price range are cars built after the gas crisis. The Japanese 4 banger, the worst years of American auto manufacture. If you are 16 today you are looking at the Hondas of the late 80's and early 90's. The toyotas and nissans. Give me an example of an American V8 that was affordable for the average Joe? Yeah, thats right and it still is. The Ford Mustang. They never quit. Chevy did, Dodge did, but Ford never did.

So for the youngsters out there buying the V6, it is still a dream come true. 210 horses? Nice improvement over the 4 banger Jap. Bad *** styling and nostalgia of an age they were born too late to enjoy.

For those of us Lucky live in that age, this GT is a dream revisited. A dream come true. Getting back to the American dream where a quality V8 muscle car will be comon place again for the comon man.

Just waxing historic poetic...

Scott
Old 04-07-2005, 11:04 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 and the V8, Generational differences

I'm 17 and I drive the 05 GT just because I'm lucky. But I have to say there is a serious revival of muscle in my age group. There are plenty of people who hate the fast and the furious and they drive v8's because they love it. Sure insurance sucks and so do the gas prices, but we are gonna drive fast until we run outa oil or money. I fight the good fight every day against japaneese cars at my highschool and I think I'm winning.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

Hey Shifty, I bet you listen to Metalica and Slayer as well? Iron Maiden?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

NO NO Not this again!![:@]

ORIGINAL: Scaught

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

SWEET!

Old 04-07-2005, 11:27 PM
Shifty
2nd Gear Member

Yep lol.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:33 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Shifty

Yep lol.
Not that you were looking for it, but you have gained my respect.

Slayer[sm=icon_rock.gif] Slayer[sm=icon_rock.gif] Slayer[sm=icon_rock.gif] Slayer[sm=icon_rock.gif]
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

Pantera... GNR... Ministry...

OZZY is GOD!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Whitey_McNasty

Pantera... GNR... Ministry...

OZZY is GOD!
Gonna send you a PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Scaught
2nd Gear Member

At Ozzfest this summer Iron Maiden is playing with the original line up. Give me some Run to the hills a little trooper and some NUMBER OF THE BEAST!!!!!! OZZY kicks *** live! Last time I saw him he was with the Original Sabath lineup, opened with WAR PIGS!!!!!

And Slayer is one of the best live acts I have ever seen. Judas Priest is also back with Rob Halford touring this summer. Anthrax is also back with the original line up. Gonna be a good summer.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

Last time I saw Ozzy was 1992 No More Tours - Tour

If Ozzy and God got into a fight who would win?

Trick question... Ozzy is God!

BTW Prince of Darkness box set = AWESOME