Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the s197

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why the s197

I remember the commercials with the motor reving up singing the national anthem during the cowboys games. I LOVED THOSE COMMERCIALS!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Prior to 2006, I have been on a hunt for a classic mustang. My brother has two: 1965 and 1966. I then remember seeing around 2002 or 2003 the S197 prototype...and it was love at first sight.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:18 PM
mcgyvertech
1st Gear Member

I went to the Los Angeles Auto Show in 2004 and when I saw the 2005 Mustang GT I couldn't believe Ford made the Mustang Righteous again! I went to the dealership with a friend and sat in the drivers seat of a 6 cylinder and fell in love with the dash board. Finally I swung into the dealership for a test drive. After the first salesman didn't know squat about the car, a tall lanky feller named Dale came out and we went for a test drive in an Automatic. We talked about our younger days, cutting around in 351 Clevelands, 302's and running from the cops. All the while I walked the Auto-tranny up and down through the gears while driving it, and he suggested we try out a manual.
We go back to the dealership and he tosses me the keys to a shiny black 5 speed GT, saying "You drive."

While sitting at a red light, he looks over and says, "Mike, why don't you open it up?" I said, " Dale, it's not my car!" He said, " Trust me." That's all the license I needed. The light turns green, I revved the tach to four grand, dumped the clutch, laid fifty feet of rubber, barked second gear and before I knew it we were up to almost eighty! I said "DAMN, This things a Muscle Car!"
On the way back to the lot I fish-tailed into the lot like the good old days. I felt like a testosterone charged nineteen year old all over again. What a car.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM
airforceus
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcgyvertech

I went to the Los Angeles Auto Show in 2004 and when I saw the 2005 Mustang GT I couldn't believe Ford made the Mustang Righteous again! I went to the dealership with a friend and sat in the drivers seat of a 6 cylinder and fell in love with the dash board. Finally I swung into the dealership for a test drive. After the first salesman didn't know squat about the car, a tall lanky feller named Dale came out and we went for a test drive in an Automatic. We talked about our younger days, cutting around in 351 Clevelands, 302's and running from the cops. All the while I walked the Auto-tranny up and down through the gears while driving it, and he suggested we try out a manual.
We go back to the dealership and he tosses me the keys to a shiny black 5 speed GT, saying "You drive."

While sitting at a red light, he looks over and says, "Mike, why don't you open it up?" I said, " Dale, it's not my car!" He said, " Trust me." That's all the license I needed. The light turns green, I revved the tach to four grand, dumped the clutch, laid fifty feet of rubber, barked second gear and before I knew it we were up to almost eighty! I said "DAMN, This things a Muscle Car!"
On the way back to the lot I fish-tailed into the lot like the good old days. I felt like a testosterone charged nineteen year old all over again. What a car.
Good story! Ford did good with this one....
Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
fosman77
2nd Gear Member

Ford should be arrested for how ugly it made the mustang over the last 35 years.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
rtredline
2nd Gear Member

Was planning on getting into more of an old school late 60s early 70s muscle car but decided i needed something more reliable at the time...And what car has the old school looks with the new school reliability...the mustang
Old 03-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

My friend up in Portland OR, was asking me if I had seen the new Mustang body style, which I hadn't.
I looked it up online, and fell in love instantly.
Then he got his '05 v6.
While happy for him, I was a bit envious.
Told my wife I wanted one, and she just laughed. I knew we couldn't afford it, so I just kept it as a dream.
About a year later, she took my Tahoe in to Timberland Chevrolet, a dealership she worked at a couple of towns away, for some brake work. The guy who owns this place also has the Ford dealership in that town.
When I got home, she was sitting on the couch, working on a beer.
She said my rig was running poorly.
I told her "Well, I guess we better sell it", and she agreed.
I said "Then I guess I can get a Mustang", and again, she agreed.
OMG, I couldn't believe it!
The next day, she tried to back out, but it was on, lol.
She told me I should test drive one, as she didn't think I could fit (I'm 6'2", almost 300lb).
They didn't have one locally, at her owner's store or the other local Ford dealer (Harper Motors).
The Harper guy said if one comes in that someone ordered, he would call me, so I could sit in it, but not drive it.
That would work for me.
They did have an '04 at her store, so I test drove that.
I have to admit, I was a little cramped, but I told her it was fine, and that I heard the '05+ models were a little roomier.
So, she was trying to get an employee discount on ordering an '06 GT through the sister Ford store.
Meanwhile Harpers called me, saying they had a powder blue one that came in, and would I like to sit in it?
I was busy at work all week, so I never went in.
I wanted a dark blue or black, btw.
Next week, they leave a message saying that the person who ordered it backed out, and they were putting it up for grabs, and I should come down.
Since my wife was going to get me a good deal on one, and I could order it how I liked, I never went down.
So, my wife is telling her sales manager what she has in mind.
Her sales manager (a real ***), got on the phone to the Ford store, and basically made my wife feel stupid, by saying to the Ford sales manager "Can you believe my employee actually thinks she can get a Mustang, with a discount, and sometime this year?", laughing, with her right there.
She got extremely pissed.
She called me, and said" Harry's being a real jerk. You should go to Harpers, and if you like that car at all, buy it.
I was out the door in minutes!
I get there, and the salesman takes me out to see it.
It was Windveil Blue, and much better looking than I pictured from the "powder blue" description.
Took it for a spin, came back and worked the deal.
I can't imagine being happier in a different car.
So, a year after I fell in love, my baby came home.
I've had her for2 1/2 yearsnow, and she still makes me smile.
I'm constatly looking for ways to set her apart from the rest of the pack, giving the Stang a unique look.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:00 AM
illpwnu

When I was a kid I loved the old 65 mustangs,when the Fox Body 5.0's came out I actually like them alot and that was my "dream car"

When I was 19 I bought a 64 1/2 with a 260 V8 from an x-girl friend and loved that car soooo much! It was stolen from me and was totalled in a car accident.

I went 13 years w/out a mustang but when the s197 came out I could not stay away any longer,they seemed to be everywhere taunting me and I kept ending up at the Ford Dealership drooling over the Roush Line.

I finally got to a point where I could buy a car of my choice, I test drove a 350 Z, Evo 9, and the Mustang GT . I went home with the Mustang GT and NEVER regret not choosing the other two. The car reminds me of my old 64 1/2 but at the same time is so much newer and cooler with all the things my 64 1/2 did not have like GOOD AC, Decent Handling, and DEFROST!!

Ford hit the ball out of the park for sure, this won't be my last Mustang I am hoping to pick up a used Shelby in a few years or maybe even a GT 500 if I'm lucky enough to find one.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:06 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

I was looking for a 01-04 GT and found a 06 V6 with 900 miles on it in the paper for 14K....couldnt pass it up. I guess the spoiled kid finally pushed his dad's wrong button cuz he was not happy to sell it but he had to teach the kid a lesson.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Asty71

I had a BMW z4 that we got rid of, (rains too much to actually enjoy it)... and I wanted to get a good old american muscle car. I had a few choices.. buy a nice old car, or get a 'vette. I prefer new cars as used usually means *work*. The 'vette was not as fun to drive as I thought it would (c6).. decided to go with a Mustang because it was a new car that had the old school look to it. Plus, I didnt want to wait 5 more years for the Camaro or Challenger.

Quick Reply: Why the s197