Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger choice.....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 AM
SANANTONIO06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharger choice.....HELP

Last night went to San Antonio Raceway and put the caron the track. Didn't do too bad, but got pushed around a little againsta couple of Shelby's, a blown stage 1 Roush and a few blown GT's. I knew it was coming, but the other half was like what the hell?? I had to explain to her AGAIN that you can only do so muchwith what you have. All the money I put in it, she thinks I could do better. Long story short, the little bird is in her head for a supercharger. Now the question is which one?? I really havent done my homework on these cause I figured I would never be down that road. I am going to you guys first to get your input. I guess I have the max 6 grand to work with. I really like the 445hp Roushcharger for $5500. Help if you guys would please....
Old 03-20-2008, 10:28 AM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger choice.....HELP

I too want a SC for my Steeda. I did a lot of research and forum trolling. I settled on the Whipple HO SC. It might be a little more than the 5500 you have with installation.

The Roush is a great choice too (IMO).

I don't want 600HP so the 6 - 8 PSI boost range is more than enough for me.

I have to wait a bit longer for my Whipple (Got hosed on my 4th Quarter bonus in January) plus just spent another 50K on making my basement into the ultimate Man Cave! Anyway, I will do a little more research once I get my next big Bonus (hopefully in May) and then I will go for it!

I like the durability and performance of the twin screw SC's. They seem a bit more robust and can take a ton more boost than I want. I know some people would disagree with me, but I like the Whipples! I am definitely leaning there!

There are a ton of opinions and it can be hard to sort through all the B.S. you will find about them here in MF land. But there are some people who really know their stuff and can give good solid advice.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

Forget that Roush supercharger. You will still get beat at the track all the time with one of those.
Buy a twin-screw like a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and she will admire your manhood and stop looking at those other Mustangs with awe.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Flatline1980
2nd Gear Member

I'm leaning toward the Roush myself.. Its more or less what you want and how much you got to spend.. But the boards are great about opinions..
Old 03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

For the price I would go with either the Whipple HO or Saleen.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:46 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

the roush is way overpriced for the power you get. you're paying for the name. for 5500 you can get just about any SC out there, so get the best, and get what YOU want. and not to impress your other half or anybody else, get it to impress yourself bc thats who's driving the car, YOU! i went w/ whipple so thats all i can honestly comment on. when i was deciding on what SC to get i changed my mind a thousand times, but when i didnt think about price or anything the first SC that came to mind was whipple, thats what i really wanted. any SC will make a ton more power than a bolt on GT, but i would get a SC that is able to upgrade in case the power bug bites you and you want more later. if you are gonna spend thousands on a SC, a few hundred more is like nothing, so go and get the best there is. what the best is, you will have to decide.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Are you looking for track performance? If so, you may want to look into the centri's like the Paxton. I've been very happy with my current set-up and the entire package is under $5K.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Are you doing this install yourself? If so, I suggest thethe Paxton and Saleen from Brenspeed, or the Kenne Bell. I recommend those b/c the tunes you'll get with them will be dead on!
Old 03-20-2008, 09:47 PM
stang910
2nd Gear Member

I'd stay away from the roush cause its a roots. It's the same type of supercharger that comes on the 03-04 cobras and the new gt500. Although its a good supercharger, for the money you can do better this is why alot of cobra owners upgrade to a whipple or kenne bell. Twin screws are the best for positive displacement superchargers. I like the whipple.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

go for the Whipple HO Kit...My girlfriend got me it...but she wont give it to me until she feels i deserve it.....trust me I am soo damn anxious..its torture

Quick Reply: Supercharger choice.....HELP