Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:50 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic

ORIGINAL: rmssch89

I got my car in NY and the auto was a lifesaver. I grudgingly chose it over a manual because of the driving conditions there but I ended up liking the decision. All the traffic and stop and go traffic I was in would have eventually made me hate a manual. Now that I am in AZ for school there are so many wide open roads and fun twisties that make me wish I got a manual. It all really depends on the conditions you are going to be driving in. But yeah, with a CAI and good tune the auto comes alive and can be a real beast.
I live in NYC, I got to admit at first I hated myself for getting a manual because I didnt have too much time behind the wheel of a manual car. That only lasted about a week or so. After that, I began to love it. As I stand now I feel bored driving an auto. I drive it daily in stop and go traffic to and from work. Now with this being said. Its all a personal choise. What matters is how the car makes you feel when driving it. Enjoy your stangs guys, thats what its about.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Grey_Ghost
1st Gear Member

When people razz on me about my auto I tell 'em "Yep, its an auto and I've yet to miss a gear". Usually shuts 'em up quick. Dont get me wrong, I had an 83 GT 5 speed that was a blast to drive, but as stated above, I believe I read an article somewhere about the difference betwen the 2 trannys and even with the pros that were driving the best time was .100 of a difference (manual trans). Thats pretty darn close, and still didnt take into consideration if one of them miss a gear, it would have been the auto that won. Comes down to the car and driver in the end.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

I just finished up some tech classes at a local tech college. There were a whole bunch of ricer guys there ('93 Integra GSR with a CAI is one example). They'd always bash on me for having an Auto.

It even went so far that they wrote "Auto?" on my back license plate frame. Oh, and "5.0!" Idiots. One day I pulled up to a stoplight and lo and behold, the dumbass is next to me revving his little I4.

Needless to say I completely decimated him to the next light. He rolls down the window and say, "I almost had you but I missed 3rd......" I had to have been at least 15 car lengths ahead by the time we were going 65.
OK. See that people? Manuals are for RICERS... (Being sarcasting BTW.)
Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

I just purchased an '06 auto GT. Personally, having driven standard Mustangs for the past 8 years, I feel like I've been neutered. I'm having regrets. For me, the fun factor with the automatic is just no there like with the manual. What was I thinking?...

Why didn't you drive the auto before you bought it? That's just stupid. I try everything out before I buy it.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Because I got a SCREAMING deal on it...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

That should make up for the nutless feeling you are having then. Whether it was worth it is up for personal evaluation. I drove a stick for decades, and when the time came, I said enough. Never again.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:54 AM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

Everyone where I work gave me so much s*** about driving not only an auto, but a Windveil Blue auto.

Now that I've taken them all out for joyrides, the taunting has reduced, substantially.

Most of these guys only frame of reference on an automatic mustang is either something from the 70's if there old (lol)orif they're my age, it's the1996 GT auto their girlfriend had in HS.

I have driven (not owned) lots of mustangs over the years and I really think the S197 as an auto is not the chick car or slug people think they are.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:11 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

It's not. Some just have a huge chip on their shoulder from some unknown issue. Nothing can cure it. Not even a stick shift.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 AM
SoFlaGT

ORIGINAL: Hicompression

Because I got a SCREAMING deal on it...
Me too!

Went looking for a 5 sp and all the dealership had were '08's with the 5 sp. They had 1 '07 left over, triple black, and it had an auto. The deal was just too good to pass up ... got it for invoice, and then they gave me $4,500 in rebates and snap financing.

I will say, if you figure out the how to make the auto work for you, not too much will keep up that isn't modded.

The power is seamless and it goes through the gears with no slips between gears. It is just right on ...

In the beginning I really wanted the 5 sp, but I am not unhappy at all with the auto. Being my DD, it just makes it so simple to jump on it. If I did get the 5 sp, I'd probably have spent time in the house of many doors for the dreaded "exhibition of speed" tickets I would have received.

[8D]
Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 AM
canadianhick77

My wife doesn't drive stick so If I didn't want to get a Caravan we had to meet in the middle.

Quick Reply: automatic