Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

automatic

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
alexxx

Default automatic

Hi just bought a new 07 gt leftover wondering if I made a good choice with an automatic Ive already owned a 5.0 standard and it was a blast to drive but 20years later and driving a 5spd jeep for the past 6 years made me go with the automatic, can anyone tell me if the automatics are a good and tuff for the long hall
Old 03-24-2008, 08:38 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: automatic

ORIGINAL: alexxx

Hi just bought a new 07 gt leftover wondering if I made a good choice with an automatic Ive already owned a 5.0 standard and it was a blast to drive but 20years later and driving a 5spd jeep for the past 6 years made me go with the automatic, can anyone tell me if the automatics are a good and tuff for the long hall
these 5r55s auto's are strong. A guy I know is running a turbo getting 520 ft lbs of torque and 500 rwhp and his tranny is holding up fine. Other guys blow the tranny at much less power. All in all I'd say these trannies are fairly strong, but their weakness would the 10 spine input shaft. I believe modaddict was working on a stronger input shaft. Also with a cai and tune these auto's really wake up. The manual would be more fun on the weekend when you want to bang through the gears, but the auto isn't anything to laugh at either
Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

they are fine. Get yourself a handheld flash tuner and buy a good tune from Brenspeed or Bamaand you will be very happy.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 AM
matt07GT
4th Gear Member

I love mine. Everyone picks on me for it.....and say that it is not a Mustang because its an auto.....but I got a hell of a deal and have not looked back yet. I just got a CAI/tune....and the car is much more responsive. Do you plan on doing adding any mods to your car????
Old 03-24-2008, 09:09 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

I broke my trans on a brenspeed stage 3 tune it's getting rebuilt for 720 hp now. I like my automatic.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Auto's are awesome on these cars. Most guys that frown upon my auto, only see my tail lights in the end.

They will hold up to a good amount of power. It is determined by how much TQ your car has. HP is a factor on the integrity of your engine. Good choice with the auto!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Ew!

Who would want an automatic............

saddle ~
Old 03-24-2008, 03:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: SaddleUp

Ew!

Who would want an automatic............

saddle ~
50 miles a day in rush hour traffic says I WOULD! I miss a manual, but I swore the next car I got would be an auto just because my leg would hurt in traffic
Old 03-24-2008, 06:41 PM
cartel
2nd Gear Member

I read a mustang book at barnes and nobles, talking about the History of Mustangs....In the book they said that thse S197 Mustangs in Automatic, shifts just as fast as a person racing a manual. And that they are the best automatic transmission ever built for a mustang to date..........I Love my auto and will never ever buy a stick......I would prefer riding a horse and cart than driving a stick..And or doing the flintstones, by removing my floor and pushing with my feet's.....Auto is Luxury....thats why it cost more.....
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

I love my manual, but i can understand why you would want an auto as well. In the end the only thing that matters is that you are happy.

Quick Reply: automatic