Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KDWS at 40psi bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: KDWS at 40psi bad?

ORIGINAL: Fourth Horseman

I have to say that I've seen what that guy was saying. I run KDWS on my Marauder for its winter tires, 245/50 in back on an 18" x 8" wheel. At 32psi it runs the center of the tread completely bald in about 12,000 miles, but the tread toward the side of the tire will still have life left in it. I'm on my second set of these tires and I now run 40 psi on the rears and the rate of center tread wear does seem to be slower than before.

It's possible that there are other factors, such as a change in compound or the way the tires are made by BFG. Hard to say, but so far I seem to be getting more life with them at 40 psi. I keep the fronts at 35 psi.

Different car of course, much heavier than our Stangs. YMMV.

Edit: In case you're interested, here's a link on mercurymarauder.net discussing the pressure issue with these tires: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...kdws+tire+wear
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]I thought higher pressure made the centers wear faster.

EDIT: In fact, here's a link that explains wearing patterns.http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
Old 03-25-2008, 02:03 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Look at the max psi on the tire and for street use on mineI go 36 psi all around on the 20" rims and have no isses with wear as of yet. Now remember I have FI now so that may change anyways!These tires and the low profile are stiff anyways and they need to be warmed up for better traction in generaland they seem to like this psi in my area IMO. J
Old 03-25-2008, 02:21 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ht11121991

I run 35. I usually stick with the little sticker in the door jam. Hope that helps.
Doesn't your sticker say 32?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: miloman

...[sm=WTFsgign.gif]I thought higher pressure made the centers wear faster.

EDIT: In fact, here's a link that explains wearing patterns.http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
Me, too.

I suggest starting at 32 andexperiment by working up in about 1-2 PSI increments to see whoshe feels. I think you'll run into handling issues at 40 PSI unless your running dead straight.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:48 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

I run my rear tires at 38 PSI. It's the same thing my alignment guy told me and so far, I have to say the tread has been wearing very evenly though.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nuke

...[sm=WTFsgign.gif]I thought higher pressure made the centers wear faster.

Me, too.

I suggest starting at 32 andexperiment by working up in about 1-2 PSI increments to see whoshe feels. I think you'll run into handling issues at 40 PSI unless your running dead straight.

He must have been "confused". Talking out your *** will do that to you. I know. Happens to me all the time.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Don't know about 40, butI can tell you from experience 45 is too high.I had an inaccurate "Accu-gage" that read 32. WhenI took it to the dealer for a tire rotation they said they were at 45. Sure as heck,I checked with a different gauge, and the Accu-gage was way off. SoI had driven around for about 6 months (6000 miles) at 45 PSI. You can see easily that the tires are worn much more in the center than the edges. Now, when I'm at 32 PSI, the car is all over the place - tramlining, etc. I have to keep the pressure at 38-40 to get a decent ride (to bring the center out to match the edges).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

wear patterns on a tire will vary greatly depending on the tire design. Personally I think 40 is way to much but I would rather my vehicle rode decent as opposed to riding like a log wagon. I don't really care about tire wear.At 40 psi your doing much more damage to your cars other components (suspension, body, interior)then what a set of tires will ever cost you. Run what the manufacturer recommends IMO.
I have a Yukon that will tell you what the tire pressure on each tire is in real time. When the outside temp comes up I can tell the pressure in the tires comes up because the truck will ride much rougher. all it takes to noticeably decrease ride quality is about 4 lbs. of air.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]I thought higher pressure made the centers wear faster.
That is the conventional wisdom, yes. Believe me, all of us in the Marauder community were like, "WTF!?" when people started coming back saying that more pressure reduced center tread wear. But lots of us have seen just that. So this appears to be one of those tires where the conventional wisdom is not accurate. Or let me say it this way to be safe: the conventional wisdom does not seem to work with the KDWS tire on the Marauder. It may be different on the Mustang which is, what, 700 pounds lighter?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

More air equals more wear in the center.
Less air equals wear on the outer edges and little wear in the middle.
Go back and question his logic before running 40PSI to keep them
from wearing in the middle too fast.
Does this guy sell you your tires by some freak Coincidence.
If so, remember, he SELLS tires.

Quick Reply: KDWS at 40psi bad?