Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: '08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?

Yeah.. this has nothing to do with tuning or tuners. The OBD port is broke, or the computer is defective. Either way, its a broken part and needs to be replaced.

You do realize its a law that cars have ODB II ports, right? Thats why all new cars have them. Its focused on emissions testing and reporting. If yours is broke then it has to be replaced because when your emissions testing time comes, they can't test without an OBD II port.

Your dealer will have to fix this or put you in a new car.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Yeah.. this has nothing to do with tuning or tuners. The OBD port is broke, or the computer is defective. Either way, its a broken part and needs to be replaced.

You do realize its a law that cars have ODB II ports, right? Thats why all new cars have them. Its focused on emissions testing and reporting. If yours is broke then it has to be replaced because when your emissions testing time comes, they can't test with an OBD II port.

Your dealer will have to fix this or put you in a new car.

Yes, unless Ford's equipment can read the ODB-II port. Then it's a tuner issue. If that's the case then I'll just have to wait and hope someone makes a tuner that works with whatever Ford has done to the new Mustangs.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

Wow that sux. Keep us updated 4 sure.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM
08Steeda
3rd Gear Member

I have theSCT SF and it worked fine on my 08 GT.

Sounds warranty related to me! Make Ford fix it!
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Can you make a quick stop to an autozone or somewhere and try running their free scan tool? If they're closer to you than ford? Just a quick check and try to see if your obd port is functioning and the code you had thrown. Not a solution to the problem at all. but you could determine if its the port or the tuner that way.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 0din

I just got off the phone with Brenspeed. I tested my SCT Xcal2 on a different Frod vehicle and it works fine. It will not work on my '08 GT, I get a "Powerup time out msg" and the SCT cannot communicate with the car at all.

According to Dave at Brenspeed they have only heard of this happening 1 other time, but in that case the vehicle was not able to be communicated with via the ODB-II port, not even by the Ford dealership. That means no mods at all, since the car cannot be retuned.

I'm going to the dealer later today to see if they can comminucate with the car via the ODB-II port, but if they cannot then my car must be left stock. That's not what I bought this car for, so if this is the case I expect a major issue with the dealer and Ford since the car is a month old, has 2000 miles, and I've already installed tint, paint protection, and a K40 front & rear radar/laser detection system. I've got over $2K in add-ons already on the car.

If the car can't be read my tuner or Ford's equipment then I consider the car to be defective and I want it replaced. This doesn't look good.
I don't think so but does your 08 have the new Adaptive Spark system??
Old 03-28-2008, 12:20 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

check all your fuses???
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

And don't let the dealer BS you. A big secret people don't know is that the OBD II port, computer, and cat converters are warrantied for 8 years/80,000 miles by law, regardless of manufacturer warranty. If your dealer says anything relating to 'its not important' or 'we'll figure it out if you ever have a problem in the future' or something stupid, then get it in writing and forward to the appropriate government agencies.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

I have to concur this is a warranty issue. The aftermarket business is also an important market for Ford (they dont have FRPP for nothing). Making Mustangs that aren't able to utilize aftermarket parts doesn't make much sense.

If the tech can read the OBD II port with his equipment your Xcal may be defective.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM
yamahadm250

you need to check the fuses, most OBD11 connectors are powered through the cigar or the accessory fuse.thats the most common problem with not being able to communicate with the ecm.
Derral

Quick Reply: '08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?