Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:37 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

Default RE: '08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?

Here's an update...

I plugged the SCT tuner into a different Ford vehicle and it can communicate and read codes with no problems. So the SCT tuner is OK.

I took the Mustang to the dealer and one of their techs plugged his fancly high dollar looking tool into the ODB-II port and it communicated and read codes on my car with no problems. So the car is OK.

The problem appears to be that the SCT XCal2 is not compatible with my 2008 Mustang. Maybe my car has a new version of the Ford software and the SCT isn't up to date, who knows?

Brenspeed offered to send me a SCT X3 to try. They didn't sound too positive about the chances for that working though.

If the SCT X3 doesn't work then I guess I can try a Diablo tuner. If that doesn't work then I'm screwed until (if) someone ever makes a tuner that will work with my car.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:42 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

You could always take it into a speed shop and ask them to load it.

I had a problem with mine once it wasn't working properly. Richard at Strictly Performance called SCT and they gave him some kind of code to enter to make it work. Haven't had a problem since. He was on the phone with them maybe 20 minutes and they had it working.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:06 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

I called SCT and they said either the XCal2 is bad or it's the car, they didn't seem to think it was possible that maybe Ford had changed their protocol causing the tuner not to work. The SCT tech said that the ODB-II port appears to not be sending the higher voltage needed to the tuner to write a tune.

The only way to know if Ford, Brenspeed and SCT don't have an answer I guess is to wait a few months and see if more people start having this issue. If so, then the aftermarket will have to figure it out and fix it if they want to keep selling tuners and parts.

If the X3 doesn't work I may try a Diablo tuner and see if that works.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

I would got to a speed shop and see if they can load it
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

You said you "tried it on another car". Did you remove the tune back out from the other car and return it to stock? If not, you cannot use it on your car, as the tuner uploads the factory tune from the other car to it's self then loads the custom tune. If you didn't do that, the factory tune(which is VIN specific) is in the tuner. If you did, you may still want to plug it into the other car again and verify that it was in fact returned to the factory tune. Tuners can only tune one car at a time due to this. I think I would go to Ford last, to avoid them flagging your VIN# in their Oasis system.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

I didn't load a tune on the other car, I just read codes to make sure the SCT was working. On my car the SCT will not load a tune, read codes, read thestrategy, etc...it's does nothingbut giveerrors when plugged into my car. It reads codes on the other car, so it's not a bad tuner.

I don't know what a speed shop could do for me, it's plug-and-play except it won't play. The SCT will never go into programming mode on my car but will on other cars.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:22 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear man somethign is wrong i think b/c alot of ppl with 08s have a tune. good luck man keep us updated
Old 03-28-2008, 03:28 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

Ford has possibly made a change to the PCM softwareor protocol that the tuner manufacturers are not yet aware of. That's just speculation, but it's possible. Auto manufacturers make changes to their software constantly.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

I doubt its un-fixable. maby just a frayed wire right at the plug in
Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Have you contacted SCT?

Things may be "plug and play" in most cases. But amazingly enough there are those times when checking with a shop or professionalare beneficial.Heck my computer is supposed to be"plug and play" yet I still have a IT department. Why because things just don't work like they are supposed to sometimes. I believe there are a couple goodshops in Dallas. I mean, instead of just waitting to see what happens with other cars. At least youmay eliminate a few variables.

If this was a large scale problem you would see more of it on the boards. I'm sorry but I don't think it's a protocol or software problem.

Quick Reply: '08 Mustang CAN NOT be tuned!?!?