Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Clean Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How to Clean Engine Bay

I use Greased Lightning and then the local car wash has a HOT PRESOAK, I do that then rinse. It's that's simple. And no I don't cover anything ever and everything starts right up. Been doing it for 3 years and no problems ever!!!

The guy above. DO NOT HOSE DOWN YOUR ENGINE!!! Are you serious!?!?!? A spray bottle. You are the funniest person I have ever read post something on this forum.

No armor all bull crap, and here's my justification!!!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:14 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

should the motor always be turned off and warm...which is best?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Well I am not sure if I would cool it off if it were super hot. But I only have to drive about 3 miles to the car wash. I usually take about 10 minutes getting all the stuff together that I will use while I am there so that to me is an ideal time for me to wait. I don't have any technical true to spec answers, but that's my experience. But I do know I wouldn't drive for an hour and then turn a cold hose onto it. Something about cooling metal fast like that just doesn't sound good to me even if it is okay to do.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:34 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i dont spray w/ water, i use cleaner wax on the painted parts bc the spraying doesnt get it all, plus you gotta wipe it down after also to get the water spots off. stubborn grease w/ dirt comes right off w/ wd40, but be careful w/ the wd40 it could degrade the hoses, and wipe the wd40 off after too. if you want it spotless there's no easy way you gotta get in there w/ a rag and your hands, w/ some degreaser and do it the old fasioned way.......earn it!!
Old 03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Wow a spray bottle...I use the pressure washer and no problems at all. I cover the CAI, battery, and fuse box with some plastic bags (Target, Walmart, whatever's laying around).
Old 03-31-2008, 10:14 PM
0din
1st Gear Member

I've been using the high pressure car washes for my engines for 22 years, never covered anything and never had a single problem.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverickaf17

Oh my god... DO NOT...I repeat again for you guys who said it....DO NOT hose down your engine.

Yeah, you drive in the rain, but do you drive without a hood or with a huge *** opening in the front? No. Hosing your engine down is just dumb, no offense guys.

Do yourself a favor and spend an extra ten minutes doing it the right way. Go to the store and buy Armor-All Cleaning Wipes for cars. Then use the wipes to wipe away the grim and dirt. When I want to clean my engine bay, I just use those. Fifteen minutes and it looks new from the factory.

You COULD use water, but not from the hose. You would need a spray bottle that has a precise shooter. Hose is too powerful and too open to use on an engine.

Anyways, that's my advice. GL.
my hood has 2 openings in the front and water gets in there all the time. ive never had a single problem when driving in rain. it gets a little more dirty under therethen it did with the stock hood but thats the only change
Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

The water can leak down into the c.o.p's and the car wont start or run ruff if they do get wet, but have never heared of anybody or myself haveing a problem. whenever i spray the engine bay down i just cover the air filter on the intake and keep the enine running just to be safe.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

It depends on how dirty it is when you start.

For me I start cleaning the engine bay everytime I wash my car from the day it's new to present. Therefore there is no need for magic tricks or solutions to clean it. I use a damp rag or a tooth brush to get in the creveses. I also always wipe down the underhood and other painted surfaces that get wet when washing.

I too do not condone water in the engine bay unless necessary and the engine should be COOL, so driving to the car wash and doing it isn't the optimal thing to do. If you need to ask why I'll just say this, if things are not 100% in order water and electricity do not mix, and our cars require it to run properly. Not to mention Hot Cast Iron Manifolds and Cold Water don't go together either.

So what I do is use AIR. I use my air compressor and blow out the loose dirt before I wash the car. Then at the end of the wash with a rag that I use for wheels and wheel wells and door sills etc. I wipe out the engine bay.

I have about 10 K on my car this is my Engine bay using my methods.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vack75

It depends on how dirty it is when you start.

For me I start cleaning the engine bay everytime I wash my car from the day it's new to present. Therefore there is no need for magic tricks or solutions to clean it. I use a damp rag or a tooth brush to get in the creveses. I also always wipe down the underhood and other painted surfaces that get wet when washing.

I too do not condone water in the engine bay unless necessary and the engine should be COOL, so driving to the car wash and doing it isn't the optimal thing to do. If you need to ask why I'll just say this, if things are not 100% in order water and electricity do not mix, and our cars require it to run properly. Not to mention Hot Cast Iron Manifolds and Cold Water don't go together either.

So what I do is use AIR. I use my air compressor and blow out the loose dirt before I wash the car. Then at the end of the wash with a rag that I use for wheels and wheel wells and door sills etc. I wipe out the engine bay.

I have about 10 K on my car this is my Engine bay using my methods.
That's cleaner than mine and I've only had mine for about 10 days!

Quick Reply: How to Clean Engine Bay