Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Please Help, Please

I do'nt know what the OP is referring to as a "strike", but if it's any kind of road damage, then Ford won't cover it. That's like crashing your car into a post, and the paint on the bumper and hood getting damaged. "My car has a 3/36 paint warranty".. Try that and let me know how it works out for you..
Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Yeah it's definitly not covered by any warranty, but it IS covered by insurance.

Also there is no reason to wait to "year 3" for a mod, in america it is a legal offense for a auto manufacturer to deny blanket coverage based on having a mod, but this has been covered.

When your scervice manager told you that you had to replace the cats with factory ones or better he was full of ****. That's not true at all.

Even if it were the stock cats are some of the best made so if you picked up a set of aftermarket ones make sure they are for the mustang and not just a random one or you may only get a marginal improvment or get a slower cat.

If you're going to go with aftermarket cats, you bassically have to go with longtube headers, they alone will cost $1000 installed, in addition to $500 for the cats so keep that in mind, and insurance will probably be willing to let you spend the insurance money on an install of this sort. Just have them write the check to you.

weird situation
Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Hey all.

The "strike" I refer to was when I had a rock on the road and wasn't able to miss it due to traffic on the switchbacks near Sedona. I know the time it happened because I was OH NO and my rider was like "damn".... Anyways, I asked the Service about the "strike" area, and indeed, it was rusted, which puts the timetable together. I rolled over a rock!

All suggestions welcome on Hiflow's. I am having a hard time finding replacement CATS. am I searching wrong?

Thanks all
Old 04-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ahh, ok, road debris damage, not covered under warranty. But mentioned insurance should.
You have a few options.
Car insurance as mentioned. They right you a check for the repairs, the deductable vs aftermarket cost of upgrade should even out.

Or the cheapest way, look for a Origional take off H pipe with cats. There are alot of them out there people are willing to let go for cheap.
I have one myself, but not getting rid off until after my 1st state emissions test, just in case I dont pass.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Just order some obx lt's along with 2 h pipes off of ebay for under $500.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:52 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Insurance not an option as I have a 1k deductable and a fender-bender on 2yrs old. Can not afford a claim. My insurance did not go up after the fender-bender, but I was at fault. Accidents happen, so Ins is OoO.

So, to clarify, to do anything other than stock-stock replacement, I have to do LT's?

Also, doesn't that open me up to big fines/tickets?

Like I said, I don't know much, but got a funny-n-the-tummy feeling I will be pleased with the final result.

Thanks everyone. All suggestions/ideas open and appreciated.

Patrick
Old 04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: captainxanax

Insurance not an option as I have a 1k deductable and a fender-bender on 2yrs old. Can not afford a claim. My insurance did not go up after the fender-bender, but I was at fault. Accidents happen, so Ins is OoO.

So, to clarify, to do anything other than stock-stock replacement, I have to do LT's?

Also, doesn't that open me up to big fines/tickets?

Like I said, I don't know much, but got a funny-n-the-tummy feeling I will be pleased with the final result.

Thanks everyone. All suggestions/ideas open and appreciated.

Patrick
NOOOOOO!!!

If you get long tube headers you MUST by a tuner/tune for them. I assume you live in a place that has emissions testing so off-road pipes are out.

This is what you want.>> http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_200...es/BX46053.gif

You can have either off-road or high flow cats, depending on what you want. If you do get off-road pipes you will need a tuner and tune (about$369). The tone of your exhaust will change, it gets louder and has a rasp even with stock mufflers.

You do not need headers. Although if you have the money get the long tubes,but keep in mind that you still have to pay someone to put them on for you,buy a tuner, and a tune.

Have fun on your first mod and good luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:08 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

I am learning quick, but need solid advice. I have been all over the web for over 4 hours now.

I found this, Magnaflow Tru-x x-pipe catted. http://www.americanmuscle.com/0506-g...pe-catted.html I can use this with my current shorty headers and no CAI/Tune? Also, would I be able to retain my current stock axle back set up?

I see Kooks LT headers are bout 1k plus another 1k for the x-pipes - plus 1/2 day install easy. I would be needing a CAI/Tune for this setup also is what I am understanding? Kooks is the way to go? Is it true on the 20-25hp gain off that setup?

I live at 7000', so my rwhp is low, and would be willing to entertain the idea of getting 20-25hp off the LT-exhaust + another 20 from a CAI/tune? Am I talking dirt here? HELP!

Sorry, I learning, just don't want to over or under buy with no experience.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 PM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

CAI = cold air intake, it has nothing to do with exhaust some CAI's need a tune with them some don't. LT headers need a tune to get you 25hp and the tune hp gain is included in that number. Nothing about your headers or x/h pipe will change your axelback.

The link for the x pipe you posted will fix your problem and gain you a 5-8hp increase, maybe. Yes LT's will get you more hp but I would advise a CAI/tune for your first mod (take it off before you go to the dealer for service). After that get some gears.

Search Gears,best cai, and what needs a tune.

BTW, I have my used stockcatted h pipe(20,000miles) and a set of pypes violator axelbacks(100miles) for sale if you wantstock parts for now. $300 plus shipping for both.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Don't get screwed over by the dealership, replacing your cats or exhaust, or intake, or even headers will not void your factory warranty. Get some nice ones, they will be better than the dealerships and you will save a boatload