Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Please Help, Please

I have my stock mid-pipe (WITH CATS) and I'll sell it to you if you want it. Otherwise you should go for the aftermarket system.

edit: Oh, and 3 cats? WTF??
Old 04-09-2008, 10:52 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I am picking up my car tomorrow. The Service told me that the worst that will happen here forward is that I will screw up the rest of my exhaust. The CAT is going to self-destruct and the parts will clog my exhaust eventually.

So, I am going to visit the muffler shop here in town they recommended, plus I heard another recommendation about them. I will see what the Magnaflow Tru-x catted x-pipe will run. I see online prices and have learned a lot. I know that the shop installs Magnaflow.

So, it looks like for parts, the above, plus the Bassani that is very similiar are both between 375-500. I am reading that everything is bolt on? Can this be down in a garage on drive-up ramps? What is a shop cost for install of this set-up?

Thanks so much.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: captainxanax

Yeah, I am picking up my car tomorrow. The Service told me that the worst that will happen here forward is that I will screw up the rest of my exhaust. The CAT is going to self-destruct and the parts will clog my exhaust eventually.

So, I am going to visit the muffler shop here in town they recommended, plus I heard another recommendation about them. I will see what the Magnaflow Tru-x catted x-pipe will run. I see online prices and have learned a lot. I know that the shop installs Magnaflow.

So, it looks like for parts, the above, plus the Bassani that is very similiar are both between 375-500. I am reading that everything is bolt on? Can this be down in a garage on drive-up ramps? What is a shop cost for install of this set-up?

Thanks so much.
yes and when this happens you engine has nowhere to send the burnt fuel and that means problems......
Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Finally, at brenspeed the link below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/headers.html

I see a KOOKS setup for 1299. That seems like a good deal, but I would have to have the car tuned after the install is how I understand things. So I would be forced into buying a tuner also? Is that correct? I understand the CAI/Tune. I decided a while back I was going to go J&L Racer intake... Now how would all this fit together.

Say I buy a evo or bren tune tomorrow with a CAI package.... I get the CAI and install it, tune my car with my tuner and tunes. Enjoy. But, within the week, I get the Kooks setup. The tune is done by the shop that installs the LT's? When and where is the tune done and is it just airflow? Is it adjustable across all tunes I would have bought?

This is where I get confused now...

Oh, and thanks sailing220 for the 3 cats WTF... I thought that was absolutely over the top from service....

I am also having a very hard time understanding how I could spend 1800 (dealer) on the one CAT, and 300 on labor, blah blah blah. When I can get a LT Kook's setup with a tuner and install for just a little over that at worst? That is beyond belief.

Thanks for the continued answers and help.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I recommend getting a CAI/Tune package from Brenspeed. That way, once you install your LTs (that you also order from Brenspeed), you'll get free re-tunes.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 AM
danomano
1st Gear Member

Would you be installing the LT yourself or someone else? Some poeple have reported it is $1000 for install of LT or any header.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info.

Please tell me if you guys think this will be a good idea:

Magnaflow: just under 600 plus install costs...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/0506-g...pe-catted.html

Bassani: (top left item) 400 plus install costs...

http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/midpipes.html

So my question is how can I replace my one cat with an entire midsection for a faction of Fords replacement cost?
How is a hiflow Cat different from a stock on the car?
I do not need to change my axle back setup with the above replacements?

I think for financial & first mod reasons, I will repair this exhaust with a hiflow catted mid-section. The LT's would be nice to do, but I just can't seem to find the justification for the amount spent other than "it would be equal to the Service cost"... Gives me the summer to do the CAI/tuner package...

I am going to source the parts & shop today, so can anybody tell me I am on the right road here?

thanks a ton!