Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:08 AM
sacrelli

Default Parking brake

Hi,
I just got a 2006 Mustang. I am real protective of it right now and I know this seems like a dumb question but I would really appreciate it if someone would answer it. I accidently put on the parking brake on before putting the car into park tonight. When I realized it I took the parking brake off, and moved the shifter to from drive to park. I then proceeded to put the parking brake on. Did I do anything wrong here? I mean did a mess up anything? It is an automatic. I am new to all this so please be nice.
thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 12:13 AM
MD07gtcs
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Parking brake

No you will be fine I wouldnt worry about it at all.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
sacrelli

thanks, I can finally relax. lol.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:19 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

No worries but with any auto I never used the parking brake! Personal preference and good to use to lessen the chance of it not working when you need it! JMO J
Old 04-11-2008, 12:24 AM
sacrelli

ORIGINAL: mygt500

No worries but with any auto I never used the parking brake! Personal preference and good to use to lessen the chance of it not working when you need it! JMO J
Hi,
So you recommend not using the parking brake unless I am on a hill, etc? Oh, and you also think that what I did tonight is OK for the car? I mean did I harm it in anyway?
thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

ye,nothing wrong..dont scare to ask questions..u wont go wrong by asking any question here..
Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Actuallyto take the strain off of the parking pawl, you should be putting the parking brake on before putting it into park.
And most parking brakes that I have seen not working for from nonuse, and the cables rusted inside the outer housing.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
sacrelli

hey, thanks guys. I feel better now.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

actually, you did do something wrong.

Now 95% of the drivers out there have never heard of doing it this way, but this is the correct way to do it. I have to respectfully disagree with jason on this, as I use the parking brake on every vehicle, and actually especially on an auto.

Here's why.

There is no gear such as "park". "park" is neutral, with a parking pin. This pin slips into place when you put it into park, and slides into a hole that then keeps the car from moving. however, this parking pin can get pinched, and if used on a hill, it may not come out properly, and you could damage the transmission.

So, technically the proper parking procedure I have always followed with all vehicles is this:

Let vehicle come to complete stop on whatever ground you are on.

Shift to Neutral

Pull up parking brake all the way

Release Brake

Let Parking Brake Hold the Car

Then shift to Park

This way you will not pinch your parking brake.

And I know in many states, including CT, where I live, it is illegal to be parked without the parking brake engaged, so it is the law to use it!
Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 AM
sacrelli

ORIGINAL: Burnsy

actually, you did do something wrong.

Now 95% of the drivers out there have never heard of doing it this way, but this is the correct way to do it. I have to respectfully disagree with jason on this, as I use the parking brake on every vehicle, and actually especially on an auto.

Here's why.

There is no gear such as "park". "park" is neutral, with a parking pin. This pin slips into place when you put it into park, and slides into a hole that then keeps the car from moving. however, this parking pin can get pinched, and if used on a hill, it may not come out properly, and you could damage the transmission.

So, technically the proper parking procedure I have always followed with all vehicles is this:

Let vehicle come to complete stop on whatever ground you are on.

Shift to Neutral

Pull up parking brake all the way

Release Brake

Let Parking Brake Hold the Car

Then shift to Park

This way you will not pinch your parking brake.

And I know in many states, including CT, where I live, it is illegal to be parked without the parking brake engaged, so it is the law to use it!
I guess my next question is, did doing it this way once damage the car?
thanks for your response.

Quick Reply: Parking brake