Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally getting tint

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Finally getting tint

I think I've seen this before, but if I have a 2008 GT, I do NOT need moleskin? It looked like I already had it on there, but I wasn't sure.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jahudso2

I think I've seen this before, but if I have a 2008 GT, I do NOT need moleskin? It looked like I already had it on there, but I wasn't sure.
I've heard that before too. Look on the inner window channel, if it doesn't look like just a plastic piece and actually looks soft and felty, you dont' need it.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Tint is on!
Cars dirty, so I took a couple of quick pics.
I went with 35% up front, and 15% on the rear.
Nothing on the 1/4 windows.
I was told I'd have to take the louvers off to do it, and wasn't into that.
If I ever want to go through the hassle, I can remove them and they'll tint them free of charge.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:09 AM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Thanks for posting up the pictures. I will probably be getting 35% all around within the next couple of weeks.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:41 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

looks great and I have not installed the moleskin (though I do have it) and low and behold even after my installer (25 yrs exp) said he has had no problems with tint on any of the mustangs they are starting to scratch ever so lightly![:@] I have a gaurantee on them so the fronts will be replaced as they are Limo tint all around and is noticable IMHO..... I guess I proved him wrong. Funny thing is he said the side windows were easy and I did notice a bubble on each side but he assured me that they would go away in a couple of days in the sun.....they didn't either so I have 2 reasons to get the work done......Oh well you live and learn... J -The back window turned out great and that took the longest!
Old 04-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

I have 35% on the doors and 5% on the rear and 1/4 windows and I love it..... Most tint shops will tell you that it should not scratch because it has an anti-scratch coat, but as with most people here, mine scratched within 6 months. But I roll them up and down alot thru the day. So I ordered moleskin and when it gets here I will have to strip the old tint off and re-tint the fronts.

As for you having to take the louvers off...... Your installer is F'ing lazy! Tint goes on the inside of the car. If yours is on the outside you need to go get your money back!!!!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Cowboysguy2000

ORIGINAL: Z06 Killer

As for you having to take the louvers off...... Your installer is F'ing lazy! Tint goes on the inside of the car. If yours is on the outside you need to go get your money back!!!!
I'm sure the reason they said he'd have to take the louvers off is because when they cut the tint (it comes on a huge roll), they set it on the outside of the window and then use the window as a template to cut the tint. It'd be pretty much impossible to do that from the inside.

I just had my tint installed today too by the way. I got limo on the back and 1/4 windows, and "medium" on the drivers and passengers side windows. Not sure what percentage "medium" is, but it's fairly dark. The back is pretty hard to see out of at night, but I'll get used to it.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:27 AM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboysguy2000

I'm sure the reason they said he'd have to take the louvers off is because when they cut the tint (it comes on a huge roll), they set it on the outside of the window and then use the window as a template to cut the tint. It'd be pretty much impossible to do that from the inside.

Exactly what he told me
Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 AM
dcottrell6
1st Gear Member

I just got 35% all around, not too dark but noticible.
I told the shop about the moleskin on these cars, he said he has never heard of a problem so I had him pull up this site and the Taco Bill write up and he orderd the moleskin right there. A couple of days later it was done.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboysguy2000

I just had my tint installed today too by the way. I got limo on the back and 1/4 windows, and "medium" on the drivers and passengers side windows. Not sure what percentage "medium" is, but it's fairly dark. The back is pretty hard to see out of at night, but I'll get used to it.
I have been doing tint for over 14 years. And yess they come in large rolls but all he had to do was measure the inside of the window and cut a slightly larger section from the roll on a work bench. Wet the inside window anp place it on there, trim to size then peel the backing off and position it were he wants it. The last step is to work out the bubbles with a heat gun and hard rubber blade.