Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complete Frustration At The Track!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Complete Frustration At The Track!!!!!!

Find a back road, hell your in Texas should be plenty of them. Start practicing your holeshots and 2nd gear shifts. Try to come out of the hole smooth but steadyapplying the gas. Shift a little sooner than you think to keep from hitting the rev limiter until you get used to the controled launch and shift.Good luck.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Bloodymary, where in texas are you?

There is a 1/4 mile track down in ennis, and me and my buddy are supposed to go down this friday.. were from dfw area, your more than welcome to join us
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: whtcanbrwnd04u

Trust me, those 20's are hurting you HORIBBLY. My first time at the track i ran with my 20's... and my best was a 13.9, with teh stock 17s and mt et streets i lowered by 60ft by .3 and the car pulled alot harder. i love em
To the OP, Drag Radials would help you SO much! The above advice is good. I'm running 4.10's on my 4.0L V6 (you may not wanna look at the 1/8 time in my sig). At the track, I currently run 275/50R17 M&H Racemasters (28" dia) on 17x9" replica Bullitts, but these tires will fit well on the stock 17x8" Bullitt rims. If you still have your stock rims, I strongly suggest getting a pair of DR's for the track. DR's are so important (IMO), that I have zero interest in racing at the track ever again without them.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Thanks whtcanbrwnd04u!!!! I know I have to do something with those 20s and I am certainly going to work on that. Ona 1/8 mile trackyou certainly dont have time to recover, everything you do from launch to 60ft is so critical.

Va. are you saying try not to take it to 6,000 rpms before shifting? Maybe shoot around the 5500 mark?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:10 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

If you shoot are 5500 your just going to hit your sweet torque spot harder and spin more
Old 04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Thats not bad!! I went to launch the first time on Friday and it died on the line!!!![:@][:@] We had a boost issue that didn't show up when we were running the street tires. Imagine how embarassing that can be!!! My buddy kept telling me give it more gas. I kept telling him I was!! He drove it and only beat my time by 1/2 second (he's an NMRA 10.5 outlaw driver) and decided it was the car!

Loose the 20's as everyone said they are killing you. Don't worry about the last trip. Thats why it's called test and tune.
What RPM did you launch at? Do you still have stock LCA's?
Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

whtcanbrwnd04u Im about 25 minutes west of Fort Worth so Ennis is a long haul for me. Kennedale is the closest track but it is 1/8. Does Ennis have a test and tune or street war type weekends? We have been talking about trying out the stangs (me and my son) at Ennis but just cant seem to make the long drive happen with our schedules.

28HopUp how much you pay for your Racemasters?

PLstang lol, ok I feel better!!!Dont laugh at me when I tell you I didnt stage up my rpms, just went from a dead stop. Having not run with the 4.10s I was a little nervous about staging up my rpms and really wasnt sure where I needed to be. There were so many cars last night, I only got in two runs so I could play with the rpms at all. What are your rpms at launch? Yes, Im running stock LCAs.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Going for broke
2nd Gear Member

one other thing as well... A dragstrip is different then the street in two ways.
1. it's stickier but once you break loose you break loose good. Be smooth and try to match revs when shifting esp. with the tires you have on a well prepped track you can get by with being more agressive but if the track won't hold what your trhowing at it then you need to smooth out and back it down a notch. smoother is always faster.
2. on the street it's cool and sounds good to really crack it into second gear to get a nice long squeal out of the tires. On the drag strip if your not careful you can get out of the groove and it can put you into the wall. once again smooth shifting..
I'd like to see you hit the track one more time with yourcurrent set-up to see if anyof the advice we're all dishing out will help you any.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Well I ended up spraying out of the whole to get my best time of the night. Otherwise the car was falling on it's face of the line. I ran a 11.503 @126 on the dope.....pathetic. But we think we have the problem solved.

I used to go from about 3500. However, with 410's and those tires I'm not sure what your going to need to do. I got some 17" stock bullets around here somewhere. If you want to get a pair for the track. Two are already claimed, but I still have two left. I also have some slightly scarred 18" razors[:@]

Were you running at Sealy??
Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StowesStang

Thanks whtcanbrwnd04u!!!! I know I have to do something with those 20s and I am certainly going to work on that. Ona 1/8 mile trackyou certainly dont have time to recover, everything you do from launch to 60ft is so critical.

Va. are you saying try not to take it to 6,000 rpms before shifting? Maybe shoot around the 5500 mark?
I have my rev limiter set at 6800 rpm.I thought the stock was 6200. I may be wrong.I would just shift a little early UNTIL you get used to making the shift without hitting the limiter. Your holeshot and first shift are very critical to low times. Work the throttle out the holealong withthe clutch to get use to the feel. A back road is a good place to not be embarrased while learning.The 2nd to 3rd shift should be no problem.

Quick Reply: Complete Frustration At The Track!!!!!!