Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy gt500 brembo rotor like these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:51 AM
buffguy
2nd Gear Member

Default Where to buy gt500 brembo rotor like these?

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brembo/3c.html

Where can you buy rotor that look like this for the gt500 brake kit?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Where to buy gt500 brembo rotor like these?

I am waiting for some cheap ones to come out. So far stillen has them but they are too expensive for rotors. Thing is since they have no competition there is no reason for a lower price right now. I would just get the Ford ones from tousley ford and just send them to a machine shop or to pro-stop or something similar to have them dimpled and slotted.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

You do know that those are street only right? Drilled Rotors are not SCCA legal because of potential cracking.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:48 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

You do know that those are street only right? Drilled Rotors are not SCCA legal because of potential cracking.
That depends on which category and such. Mainly thats why I said dimpled; tracks where you see little breaking such as speedways and such people tend to use drilled out of the wazoo rotors for weight savings. But that is only when little breaking is required no hard stops or anything like that.

Andrew
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
buffguy
2nd Gear Member

I don't like the stillen ones, because it has very few drills and it is a one piece rotor. I like the one from the picture above, because it has alot of drills.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:44 AM
pnicholson
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: buffguy

I don't like the stillen ones, because it has very few drills and it is a one piece rotor. I like the one from the picture above, because it has alot of drills.
Hey there,

The Stillen rotors have very few drills to help prevent cracking. There are just enough cross-drills in the rotors to help bleed off heat - and thats it. No need for a large number of cross drills. The chamfers on our cross-drills on the Stillenrotors isn’t a standard chamfer – it’s called a radius chamfer. It has no sharp edges that a standard chamfer would normally have which can heat up. The slots in the Stillen rotors are ramped slots. Many rotor manufacturers drop an end-mill into the material, cut the slot and then lift the mill. This leaves pockets for brake pad material to build up in. Our slots are ramped in and out of the material – leaving no pockets. After the machining process is complete, the rotors are acid washed to remove any deposits left by the manufacturing process. They are then completely zinc plated (silver) to help aid in rust prevention.

I was told that there isnt, and wont be a 2 piece rotor available for the current Brembo GT500 brake system offering.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Androdz2
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pnicholson

ORIGINAL: buffguy

Hey there,

The Stillen rotors have very few drills to help prevent cracking. There are just enough cross-drills in the rotors to help bleed off heat - and thats it. No need for a large number of cross drills. The chamfers on our cross-drills on the Stillenrotors isn’t a standard chamfer – it’s called a radius chamfer. It has no sharp edges that a standard chamfer would normally have which can heat up. The slots in the Stillen rotors are ramped slots. Many rotor manufacturers drop an end-mill into the material, cut the slot and then lift the mill. This leaves pockets for brake pad material to build up in. Our slots are ramped in and out of the material – leaving no pockets. After the machining process is complete, the rotors are acid washed to remove any deposits left by the manufacturing process. They are then completely zinc plated (silver) to help aid in rust prevention.

I was told that there isnt, and wont be a 2 piece rotor available for the current Brembo GT500 brake system offering.
You are right about the two piece rotors that are not available but there isn't any real reason why they will not be available in the long run. Aren't drilled rotors just mainly a estetical mod? drilling is made to remove weight and thats it. To cool I really dont understand that if anything drilling holes will just do the oposite because you are removing thermal mass thus the rotor will heat up quicker if anything. Rotors cool by the little flaps at the outside diameter of the rotor on the inside. They are typically @ an agle so that they can move the air between the rotors.

Andrew