Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just ordered my 500/KR conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Just ordered my 500/KR conversion

This is kind of like putting an M3 badge on a 325i or a Turbo badge on a 911 Carrera. I could go on...
Not cool IMO.
Car looks great and will soon look even better. The badging kind of ruins it though. Makes it seem like you're not proud of a unique ride that you've spent time and money creating.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:58 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

No Camaro will beat me

Welcome to the club, let me know if you need help with install and the Supersnake hood from Shelby will need prepwork as well. That is the nature of the beast (fiberglass)
Old 05-01-2008, 02:19 PM
xkyle22
1st Gear Member

Car looks good dont listen to that strip the emblems crap, put the whipple on and smoke there ****!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:37 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I guess you can tell by my forum name how i am going to come out on this issue, but I think if AZAlloy wants to modify the looks of his car to a Shelby KR then he should be able to do what he wants. In terms of being hunted and killed by a Camaro then that's up to his pride to take care of that problem. I just blew the doors off a BMW Z8 last weekend, so with 500 hp on tap I'm standing by waiting on that Camaro. I did a few things differently with my car to alert the smart Shelby owners that something was up. I have no GT 500 letters in my side stripe. And I spelled Shelby across the back like the GT 500 Prototype. My mirrors are painted black like the car. And the stripes are painted on instead of using vinyl decals. I have a nerf bar on my car as well. ANd Corsa exhausts because I hated the drone of the FRPP cat backs.

The car I had before this was 66 fastback saphire blue with white le mans stripes. Rack and pinion, 18 inch wheels, 350 hp Jasper engine, toploader, cobra tach, oil pan, intake, oval cover etc. I had a blast making that car much faster and handle and stop much better than any stock GT 350. And there were plenty of people who turned their noses up at that car but in the end, its all about what makes you have the most fun. So AZALLOY, let me know how you like the hood cause that's the next big part i'm thinking about
Old 05-01-2008, 02:39 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

I like your car man. Just do whatever makes you happy, thats all that matters. Cant wait to see it done
Old 05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Andretti

Well I think I found either the place you got your kit on ebay or one pretty darn close. I'm glad you mentioned thats where you got it. I know I'll be keeping my eyes on these when I get the rest of my cash up.

So....did you get a chance to look at that hood any closer? I'd really like to hear your thoughts about how it looks from production and what your body man says when he gets a chance to view it. I figured out the other day that Shelby is selling a version too finally, called "super snake". They sell one prepped(1099.95) and unprepped(849.95). It is VERY close in looks to the Trufiber one, but has that center piece where the two "nostrals" meet more hidden up underneath. I actually really like it too, but the thought ofof the hoodalready "prepped" so there are no surprises on fit is VERY tempting. Thats why I ask about the Trufiber one.

Nice looking car. One of the few colors I wonder if I shoulda gotten instead of my Vista Blue that I wanted since I was 5 y/o and saw myparents '65 fastback.

Keep up the pics as you make your updates.

Bryan
Hey Bryan, I am sorry and I did not mean to blow off your question. This is the first tim I have ever purchased a hood that is not OEM. So as far as comparing this one to the quality of other aftermarkt hoods, I can't do it. After looking at the hood closely, I notice that the only real rough places are in the heat extractors. When I say rough places, I mean there are a few minor edges that need to be sanded just a bit. Other than that, I am pretty impressed with the hood. I know they gel coat these things over the weave, and to the untrained eye, you would never have guesses that this hood is constructed of fiber glass.

I know what you are talking about with the Shelby Super Snake hood. I have one of their new parts catalogs, and I have seen it in there. If you are going to go that route, it only makes sence to get the 'prepped' version. But as Mellowyellow said, it might need work too. The guy who is doing my body/paint work does 60's Eleanor kits, and spends close to 80 hours just on the fiberglass just to make it look (as he says) "like steel." So I know he is going to be a real stickler when it comes to this hood. Honestly, I do not see him have a problem with it.

I really do not want to go back and forth with some of you about my badging. First off, the car does not say GT500, it says Shelby GT. What makes a Shelby GT perform better over a GT? FR3 Handling pack, hurst, and FR1 power pack. You will find ALL those mode done to my car and more, with minor changes (IE FRPP stingers instead of FR1 mufflers). So this car will get "eaten" just the same by a camaro that the serialized Shelby GT will. NO where on this car does it say GT500. Even the rear gas cap is the FRPP snake cap, which also does not say GT500. I have plans for new nomenclatures after the whipple gets installed. Until then, it stays the way it is. Beside, imitation is the highest form of flattery. If you can do it in good taste, why not? Not like I have a rusted up POS that I put Shelbys name on. If anything, it is free advertising, because no one on the streets knows it's fake. But when they ask, I never lie.

By the way, I do not street race either. Ever. Too dangerous and I will not be the one responsible for killing the family in the mini-van on the way to soccer practice. So if Mr. Camaro is intimidated by me, he will have to live in fear not knowing what is under my hood. I know half of you are saying BS, but there are 2 tracks intown that I swap the tires out, and take her down. In my profession, I see the results of street racing and speeding everyday. I will not be another statistic. Thats all I am going to say on the topic. If someone wants to start a new thread about "fake Shelbys," more power to you. This thread is about me documening my conversion. So...back on topic.

Mellow, how much time did they charge to prep your hood? Was yours pre-production? I know you have had it for quite some time.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fakesnake

I guess you can tell by my forum name how i am going to come out on this issue, but I think if AZAlloy wants to modify the looks of his car to a Shelby KR then he should be able to do what he wants. In terms of being hunted and killed by a Camaro then that's up to his pride to take care of that problem. I just blew the doors off a BMW Z8 last weekend, so with 500 hp on tap I'm standing by waiting on that Camaro. I did a few things differently with my car to alert the smart Shelby owners that something was up. I have no GT 500 letters in my side stripe. And I spelled Shelby across the back like the GT 500 Prototype. My mirrors are painted black like the car. And the stripes are painted on instead of using vinyl decals. I have a nerf bar on my car as well. ANd Corsa exhausts because I hated the drone of the FRPP cat backs.

The car I had before this was 66 fastback saphire blue with white le mans stripes. Rack and pinion, 18 inch wheels, 350 hp Jasper engine, toploader, cobra tach, oil pan, intake, oval cover etc. I had a blast making that car much faster and handle and stop much better than any stock GT 350. And there were plenty of people who turned their noses up at that car but in the end, its all about what makes you have the most fun. So AZALLOY, let me know how you like the hood cause that's the next big part i'm thinking about
Nicely put. But I MUST ask...nerf ball? LOL. Please explain.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

BTW. Whipple HO is on the way as of 5/1/08 at 1405 hours.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

The Nerf bar is what I call CDC's fake roll bar, looks great on a vert but won't do didly in a rollover. Congrats on the Whipple H/O. I believe that on the 8th day, god created the whipple for the mustang. I had the non ho version and although nice it was not AWESOME. You'll see and then go Camaro hunting. Your car looks really great BTW. I wish I could figure out how to do pics on this forum maybe someday
Old 05-01-2008, 05:03 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

I love the way your car looks. +1 to doing what makes you happy, it is your car. Enjoy the new front end!

Quick Reply: Just ordered my 500/KR conversion